PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
So among the many pipes that I accumulated over deployment is this 1960s Meerschaum. It needs some TLC however I'm not exactly sure where to start. First off I'd like to say that this pipe is VERY light and the unprotected meerschaum is fairly easy to scratch and/or stain. All my other meers are waxed so the feel of this pipe has me a bit concerned about its durability. There are a few minor surface scratches that I would maybe like to sand down (if that's even possible). I guess what I'm asking is can I sand the scratches out with micro mesh and how would I go about "sterilizing" a meershaum?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Jeez thats a difficult one. Meerschaums don't take too well to being buffed and due to the absorbent quality of the material any stains may go far below the surface. As it is not an antique I would suggest you acquire some of that super fine steel wool and very gently try and polish out the marks and scratches. Once you have done that I would polish it with fine jewelers compound and then buff with a soft mop. I would coat the pipe with pure bees wax and then smoke the pipe and buff off any surplus wax with a soft mop. This is the reason why I don't buy anything made after 1910 as there were some pretty suspect stuff kicking around in the 60s marked meerschaum. Remember my thread on my exploding 1960s meerschaum!

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Haha I DO remember that thread. This one is an Ehrlich. I own several so I'm pretty confident in the quality. Just a bit concerned about it not being waxed. Thanks for the great advice! Lol some of that stuff I dare not do myself though.

Jan 10, 2014
I recently purchased two D. P. Ehrlich meerschaums from the same series as yours. They are a full bent billiard and a straight pot. Both arrived fairly uncolored. Knowing that they were smoked and over five decades old, I wet sanded them with 600 and 800 grit paper and lightly coated them with a paste made from one part filtered white beeswax to four parts jojoba oil. (Both of these are available on Internet & should not be expensive.) The bent billiard responded extremely well, nearly full burnt orange in two months. I am a Neanderthal when it comes to technology so I don't have the image downloaded here, but here is the address to a comparative shot over the aforementioned two months.

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/2MkMR6wuV7YP7kT/media/Ehrlich%20estate%20bent%20billiard%20top%20to%20bottom%20purchased%20sanded%20%20waxed%202%20months-2_zpsfypgmc17.jpg.html?filters[user]=146034795&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Status
Not open for further replies.