PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Hello,
I am new to pipe smoking (smoked yesterday for the first time). Being a long time avid cigar smoker, someone recommended Dunhill Nightcap, My local tobacconist does not carry this blend but he told me that an alternative is Mr. B's days end so I bought that. I tried it last night and absolutely hated it. I wasn't expecting it to taste like a cigar, but I also wasn't expecting it to taste the way it did. I picked up creamy smokey almost hickory notes that are hard to describe and stayed with me well into the next day. I really want to like smoking pipe, especially since I spent $100 on a Chacom briar pipe. I thought I would like it for sure since I absolutely love cigars. I am in desperate need of suggestions. I don't want it to taste anything like nightcap. If anyone here is familiar with cigars I love Liga Privada by drew estate and opus X cigars by arturo fuente so perhaps something along those lines in flavour would do. I like a medium to full bodied smoke with complex notes that are more on the sweet side but not overly sweet where thats all you get perhaps that would help? Thanks in advance!

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
If you like Drew Estate cigars, might I suggest a Drew Estate pipe tobacco? I know that they have tins for sale on P&C. It's just an idea, but since I know nothing of cigars it's basically a stab in the dark. Hopefully you find, try, and like Drew Estate's pipe tobacco. Sorry I couldn't help more.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
If you like Drew Estate cigars, might I suggest a Drew Estate pipe tobacco? I know that they have tins for sale on P&C. It's just an idea, but since I know nothing of cigars it's basically a stab in the dark. Hopefully you find, try, and like Drew Estate's pipe tobacco. Sorry I couldn't help more.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Like Roth suggested, if you didn't like Nightcap then you wont like English blends. Or maybe it was just a strong English blend. It might be that you don't like the Latakia in the Nightcap match. Whatever it is, don't worry. There are so many different tobacco blends out there you will definitely find some you like.
You might want to start off with a lighter English like McClellands Frog Morton. Its nowhere near as heavy as Nightcap.
Or maybe head back to you local store. Grab some samples of some aromatics and Virginia blends. That's what I did. When I started I bought an ounce of a few different blends. Kept some I liked and tossed some others. At least it will help you explore whats out there.
Good luck and Welcome to the PM forum.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Nightcap is fairly heavy in Latakia. Latakia is a smoke cured tobaco and gives the heavy "smoky" taste. It's an acquired taste. Nightcap is actually one of my favorites. I haven't tried the drew estate tobacco lines. I started with cigars and still enjoy them. Liga Privada was the exception to Drew Estate for me. That was the only thing Drew Estate that I felt was worth a crap. It took several fellow cigar smokers urging me to try the Liga Privada #9(the introductory Liga Privada) before I did and I was shocked. I also love the Fuente Opus X and Ańejo lines. Now, finding the pipe tobacco's you enjoy just takes some time. Nightcap is an english blend, if the smokiness it had was what you disliked then I would steer away from English blends for now. You may want to try some Virginia pipe tobaccos to start. There are virginia's, virginia/burley blends, and virginia perique blends primarily(all kinds of variations, but these stick out the most to me). Flakes(tobaccos leaves are pressed into bricks then slices of them are called flakes) are some of my favorite virginia's, and produce some of the tastiest smokes. However they can be a little tricky learning a pipe. Are you looking for a suggestion that you can pick up from your B&M, or something to order? B&M's have jarred bulks that are generally bulks they purchase and rename(some blend their own, but those are exceptions to the rule IMO). Due to that knowing what is actually there to recommend can be very difficult. If they carry tinned tobacco as well, you can let us know what is available to you there and that would help. Of course if you're looking to order something that makes things easier because there are many more possibilities.
Now, if I haven't jumbled around too much and made that too confusing it will be a miracle. What did you like and dislike about the nightcap sub that he suggested to you?
If you want to PM me your shipping info I would be happy to ship some samples out to you as well. English, virginia's, and I have a few aromatics if you were wanting to try some of that as well. Glad you found this place instead of giving up. There is lots of great info here, and great people to help you get started.

B

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for all the help and info! The problem here (Canada) is that we cant really "sample" there is a minimum purchase of something along the lines of 20 grams which is absurd since it costs over $15 for that. It is much too expensive to sample which is why i find my self in this problem and really want to find something I like. I will go out and buy a virginia and see if thats the solution, however if it is a hard blend to learn pipe on that will be problematic as well as I had enough trouble keeping the nightcap lit. I will certainly private message you pipebow88 and humbly take you up on that offer as it will help me immensely and you smoke cigars as well which makes you extra awesome hahaha.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Sorry I guess the drew estate pipe tobacco was a bad suggestion lol, Ive never looked into them that much an didnt know they only had mostly aro's. however I think I remember McClelland having red tins that had something to do with cigars, I'm not sure what though. Maybe another forum member knows what I'm talking about. Sorry I cannot be of more help, I am at work and my 3G has difficulties in the factory. Hence the double post above.
Hope you find a blend you like!

Shayde

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks Shayde! No problem brother. any help is appreciated! I wouldn't mind trying the drew estate stuff just because I like the liga privada line of cigars so much, but the acid cigars (flavoured) are not very good at all so I'm not sure what to expect. It would be nice if I could just go to my local B&M and ask for a bowl of everything but up here they apparently have a 20 gram minimum.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Yes I've found them (on my lunch break). They are McClelland Cigar Blends (red label). They only have 2 blends but I assume it's the closest you'll be able to find to cigars. They have them on P&C and McClelland tobaccos are 10% off this month. I think they ship to Canada but I could be wrong. I'm sure other cigar smokers have different blends they like, but the McClelland one seems to be specifically made for people in your predicament. They have "Dominican Glory" and "Dominican Glory Maduro". I've never personally tried them or even heard anything about them, but it may be worth checking out.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Shayde, I believe you are thinking of Mcclelland Dominican Glory. It's a cigar leaf blend.

B

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
hahah thanks to the both of you! I will try and find this, hopefully its available up here.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Haha it's all good :) but work is killing me. Smoke a bowl for me, I've got another 8hrs...

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I've got a 12 hour shift tomorrow night myself so I get it. Working on my 3rd bowl right now. I've smoked the regular dominican glory before, but it isn't what I was hoping it would be. Smoking McClelland Honeydew right now.

B

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Arcadia, which is in the same line as honeydew, has been my to to McClelland blend. It was the first tobacco I went crazy over. I love the Virginia's and the subtle orientals overtop. I've been wanting to try honeydew myself lately, how is it? Do you think the OP would like it? Someone suggested Virginia's and as far as VA's go Arcadia is a nice but it's a little light.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I haven't tried arcadia yet. Honeydew is fantastic. Nice sweet smoke, lots of virginia complexities going on. One of the best virginia flakes I have smoked. I think anyone who likes virginias would love honeydew. Wish I had tried it much sooner, Roth tuned me in to it thankfully.

B

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you are in Canada, try 4Noggins. They ship to Canada and have sampler packs available. Call 'em up and chat.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There isn't a pipe blend that tastes anything like a cigar blend. They're two completely different animals. There are some pipe blends that incorporate cigar leaf into them such as Cornell and Diehl's Billy Bud and G.L. Pease's Key Largo, but it won't come close to the flavor of your favorite cigar.
I second Jud's advice of calling up 4Noggins and talking with them about sampler packs. Definitely give each style of blending a try before giving up on the pipe.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
In my opinion pipe tobacco that uses cigar wrapper leaf will not really taste like a cigar as a good part of the taste of a cigar comes with the contact of the tobacco with your lips.
I'd suggest you try a top quality Virginia, Virginia/Perique or Virginia/Burley mixture.
Escudo comes to mind

Solani Silver Flake might be good for you and easy to rub out.
For now I'd stay away from the full blown flakes until you have more experience as they require more prep work.

Status
Not open for further replies.