Help Finding a; Smooth, Straight, Saddle-Stem Dublin Under $175?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Scottie Piersel Pipes
12 Fresh IMP Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Ashton Pipes
18 Fresh Brebbia Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
If I had the funds, I'd already have ordered the Dunhill Bruyere 1205/2205. But I can spend only up to $175(USD).

money-shot of the pipe at smokingpipes:

004-002-3806.jpg

I've been searching the nets and thus far the closest pipe I can find is from the Stanwell Pipe/Jar Set, but I'm not interested in the set (only the pipe) and it seems only P&C sells just the pipe...And, of course, they're out of stock

pm-pswznj-s_view12.jpg

Non-filtered is the preference, but due to lack of options not a requirement. Any and all help and suggestions most welcome!
Thanks.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't know if it's to your liking, and I've heard mixed reviews, but Luciano makes one ($85).
002-447-0521.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The one pitchfork found is the one I thought of immediately. My two Lucianos, an author

and a billiard, are good pipes. I think this one would be excellent.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Thanks for that Luciano suggestion pitchfork. It's definitely got a wonderful color and equal sized shank/stem, but I wished the chamber outer diameter were smaller so there wasn't so much of a rim.
I just found an Ascorti Russ that fit the bill...Except it's almost $300 :cry:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
There's probably plenty of pipe carvers that would take the job for $175, some are right here on this forum.

May 31, 2012

Winslow stack for $138

http://www.thebriarpipe.com/?page_id=3&shopp_pid=702
12321__big.jpg

Northern Briars makes one, but it'd be at the upper price limit

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=mancats&sec=3153&man=557
7962_pd1871815_1.jpg

If you're open to estates, this Charatan looks pretty clean, $78

http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/store.php?seller=JamesIslandPiper&Tsearch=dublin&pd=7806558
If you poke around Italaian shops, you may find a Parker which would be very close to the Dunnie, there's a lot of NOS pipes in Italy because of the huge Lubinski distribution warehouse...

...here's one, but it's already been sold,

http://novelli.it/eng/pipes/testdiv4.asp?produttore=%20Parker&modello=Super%20Russet&cod=plpr33&id=6316&opdb=1
Keep looking and you'll find something.
Eric also has a good idea, commission one to your spec!

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Namuna:
Check out Cup O Joes and Smoking Pipes. They both carry those Stanwell pipes and they are in stock. Prices are in your range. Cup O Joes under their pipes link separates the Stanwell pipes made in Denmark and then the other Stanwell tab is for the pipes made in Italy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
namuna, I think I'd look around a lot. Great things are being done with the Dublin shape, all over the

place by artisan carvers as well as machine pipe craftspeople. Matching the Dunhill might not be the

way to go, though it is certainly a starting point. You might find a near match, but you might find a

Dublin that is slightly different but that really appeals to you. Looking around for you, I saw several

Dublins that were really magnificent, but just not a match to the specs of the Dunhill. If you wanted this

in an author or a diplomat, or one of the shapes that is somewhat less done, that would be a longer

process. But this is a golden age of Dublins, so you have a range of options.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"...I wished the chamber outer diameter were smaller so there wasn't so much of a rim."
You might want to rethink this, especially with a Dublin. Keep in mind that as the tobacco burns, the ember starts out the diameter of the top of the bowl but then burns down into a smaller and smaller sized chamber. Thick walls are, to me, a necessity for a Dublin.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I have a shorter Luciano Dublin that is quite similar the the one above, and mine is an excellent pipe. I love the super thick walls on it. Cup o joes has one; a g.l. Pease/ piazza dublin

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have the thick walls and broad rim in a Britannia Dublin and it is a great smoking pipe

with a lot of capacity in the bowl. That is one preferred design in Dublins, it appears.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Even before opening the thread, the Luciano immediately came to mind. Glad to see it got recommended.
That straight Dublin is on my list of pipes I want to pick up in the near future. I have two Lucianos, a chubby billiard and a Lovat, and both are fantastic smokers. At the price point, they are a no brainer to me.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Thank you folks, for all the recommendations and thoughts.
Sorry about being so anal with wanting a very specific pipe configuration. My PAD was dormant for awhile, but started poking its' head out and now it's full-on running through the woods mauling hikers and wildlife alike.
I knew my next acquisition is to be something straight. I started this hobby with the full-bents (nearly Oom-Paul level bent), then got a Brigham Sportsman 54 which is a 1/4 bent.

pm-pbhspr-dbn-s_view2.png

Then recently I got an estate off ebay for next to nothing, it's a small Dr. Grabow Duke:

$_35.JPG

So my Brigham, to me, the bowl is just too big. While the Grabow is just a bit too small and I'd prefer the bowl rim taper going out (Dublin) rather than in (billiard/egg)...Hence finally deciding on the Dunhill 1205/2205, but not being able to afford it and having to find an equivalent.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Alright, I've decided the best way to get just what I want is going the commission route. I've contacted Todd Harris and he's given me a quote within my price range, HUZZAH! 6 to 8 weeks is his timeframe and I can barely contain myself!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good job. I think you'll really enjoy this pipe. I've never commissioned a pipe, but I think it is

a fine thing to do; support your pipe carvers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I love my straight Dublins and they are great for smoking my flakes. Sounds like you did a good deal of research and ended up with a good choice. I have heard good things about Mr Harris so hopefully you will get a great artisan made pipe for a very respectable price. Let us know when you get the pipe, I will be very interested to see how it came out and how it smokes for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.