PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zobbit

Lurker
Jan 17, 2014
Hello everyone I am new to the world of pipe smoking and have recently purchased a few pipes. The one I most like the comfort of is a Missouri Meerschaum country gentleman bent cob pipe. On the other hand I also purchased a Baraccini smooth briar pipe that I really like the smoking quality of. What I would like is a briar pipe that is similar in size and shape to the MM country gentleman if there is such an animal. Can anyone help me in my search?

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I've got a little Peterson 150 shape that is comparable to my cobs, size-wise. And to be honest, it's probably one of my most common smokers outside my cobs. It's a bulldog shape, which isn't similar to the MM cobs at all, but I'd consider the bowl size to be pretty similar.
Caveat emptor, however, if you buy it new. I picked this one up off a forum member used, and so was spared the intrigue that comes from breaking in a new Peterson. I've since purchased a Peterson new, and am absolutely willing to back up the idea that they're pretty funky until they get broken in. My new 301 still tastes like dirt a week after I've gotten it, but it smokes well, so I'm going to keep working it.
So, I guess if you can find a used Peterson 150 that's in good condition, go for it. It's a small enough bowl to compare to a cob, and if you're patient, will give you a lovely smoke.
Photo-0091.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Just a guess, but I suppose the Country Gentleman might be a comparable to a Dunhill size 2? I bet a Sebastian Beo from Smokingpipes.com might be just the right thing. If you can get a measurement from the width and depth of the tobacco chamber of your corncob, than you can compare them to the measurements listed with the pipes on most vendor's websites.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
zobbit, I would go to one of the online retailers and look at Butz-Choquin pipes. Most have moderate

sized bowls and are reasonably light weight, and I think you would find them to your liking. You can

get them new for between about $57 and $100 (or more, of course). French pipes give you a price break,

and in general are high quality and durable briars. Or for a real bargain, $30-$48 or so, look at

Chapuis-Comoy at tobaccopipes.com. Looking at the prices, you'd think there was something cheapo

about them, but I didn't find it so. I bought a fine briar bent zulu for about $35, and it's as solid as

pipes well above $100. The only trouble is, the inventory is limited; the only shapes they have in stock

are designated by the "Add to Basket" icon. The rest, they don't have, but they have some pretty ones, and

since you are just starting out, you won't duplicate something you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.