PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Don't come across them often and could use an assist in dating this one.

Left: 104/3

Top from left: DUNHILL SHELL MADE IN ENGLAND

Bottom from left: PATENT No. 134 4 8/20

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Joe, no problem. What you notice is no date code. The Patent marking is, PATENT No 1341418/20. 1941-43~45. For the rest of the story...
http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/Hypothetical%20WWII%20Pipe.htm
:)

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Dave!! Thanks very much. This is the first I've personally seen with that stamping, and the information you've provided is very helpful.
So per that article, this was made during WWII, and no known repair was made since there is no "repair date code" included. The pipe is actually in remarkable shape, once I rid it of some of the worst oxidation I've seen. Whoever bought and smoked this during the war took good care of it, never beat the rim, and was not a bit chomper; just a few small dents to heat and make right.
Thanks again, Dave!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The pipe is actually in remarkable shape, once I rid it of some of the worst oxidation I've seen. Whoever bought and smoked this during the war took good care of it, never beat the rim, and was not a bit chomper; just a few small dents to heat and make right.
And after that, if you DON'T post a pic or three of the whole pipe, the board's BritWood fans will hunt you down and take away all your lighters and pipe cleaners, while leaving you your tobacco and pipes. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: MuWAHhahahaha

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Silly old bear? Dave, one of the sadder things of my adulthood was living to see Christopher Robbin die of old age

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
George...how right you are! Images...or it didn't happen.
21ozjaw.jpg

5cnnts.jpg

1zyab6a.jpg

2e30tue.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That was fast! I hadn't even started making calls to get the posse rounded up.
Looks like you get to keep your lighters and cleaners. :lol:
That's a nice pipe indeed. Rare-ish shape, scarce production period, excellent condition, and tons of character.
Is that diagonal line across the nomenclature a factory splice? I've seen a few over the years, almost always oval shanks.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
George, that makes sense due to the WW2 briar shortages...and the fact that Dunny didn't make "smaller versions" of their then current production shapes as some others did. But I'm going to say no...I think it's a decent scratch...due to all of the other smaller scratches which go in the same direction. But a closer look might point more to your suggestion...I'll have to look at it again, more closely.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Would Dunhill have done a splice on the diagonal?
More often than not from what I've seen. I always figured it was intentional to increase/maximize the surface area of the glue joint in the pre-epoxy era. (Just guessing, though)

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
What a beautiful pipe. Lucky you. What did you use on the bowl to make it look so good?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sweet all around. It could be my birth year!! hint hint.....
And about the title, I thought it said "How to date a dummy", and was going to suggest eHarmony.com or other dating sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.