PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spurgeon12

Lurker
Oct 8, 2017
Hi all, new pipe smoker here who fittingly made a rookie mistake. I cleaned my 1 month old Peterson pipe with isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I dipped a pipe cleaner in it and ran it through the briar opening after I took the mouthpiece off. I then put it in a pouch and smoked it the next day, and it tasted terrible. I have been letting it sit out for the last 2 days but have been afraid to smoke it again because I don't want to make it worse. Any tips on how to get past this road bump? I love my Peterson and it was just starting to get a nice sweet cake around the inside. Any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Leave it apart and out of the pouch for a few days. It should be fine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Flush the pipe with hot running water, then dry. I've used isopropyl alcohol with no problems and haven't noticed a taste since it's evaporated off long before I use the pipe, but a few people swear that they can taste it. The hot water flush should remedy the issue.

Reactions: BROBS

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
It gets used here sometimes and I can taste it, takes 2 or 3 bowls to chase it completely. Kind of a bitter/astringent taste to me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The water flush will do the trick. If you paper towel dry the chamber, pipe cleaner in the airway, Q-tip in the mortise, you can smoke it right after.
Do not leave the stem out of the mortise! A good way to invite a poor fit, as the briar will dry out and the mortise hole will expand. At the same time, as the moisture leaves, it can be more difficult to insert the tenon. So, you could end up with either a too-tight fit, or too loose one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I usually use moonshine, but when my jars are empty, I've used isoprobyl. No ill effects, and it can be chased our after a few smokes.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I use 91% isopropyl on pipes a lot. It's a whole lot cheaper than everclear and the flavor profile isn't drastically different, based on the smell.
I don't have a connection for 'shine, am lamenting the end of Bacardi 151, and haven't been to Canada in 3 years so am out of Lamb's 151 Rum.
I have never noticed a lasting taste in any of the pipes I have isopropyl'd.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Try moistening a paper napkin with some Rum Extract high-proof brandy, grain alcohol...all food-grade, BTW. Now, force that moist, not wet, paper napkin into the bowl of your ghosted pipe, twist it around, and leave the Rum charged napkin in the bowl for a few hours....overnight, is better. Remove the "rummy" napkin, let the pipe dry out for an hour or so, and smoke away. If you taste anything it will be the Rum, and that residual flavor will leave your pipe very quickly as the extract flashes away from the heat.
Hope this helps to exorcise your pipe of any unwanted, isopropylic, ghosts. : ))
Buy McCormick's Rum Extract in any large super-market/baking/spice section....it's used for flavoring cakes and cookies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like Mikestanley said. The real problem is that you haven't used enough isopropyl to clean out the dip stain in the shank, which is causing the foul taste. Petersons are notorious for this.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Ah, here we go again. If ya can't drink it, don't put it in your pipe!I only use ever clear or vodka with a pinch of peppermint(avaliable at the grocery). Let dry before smoking ( only takes a few minutes). I wipe my bowls, usually after each smoke , with a added up paper towel . It is mildly abrasive and prevents excessive cake which needs reaming. Just MOA.

Mar 1, 2014
Isopropyl Alcohol is fully metabolized by the human body in small quantities, there’s a reason it’s the substance most used to sterilize skin.

In pure form it also leaves no residue and evaporates quickly, you would be hard pressed to find any substance to clean a pipe better.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do like jabo, wiping out the bowl, and don't ream, don't need to own a reamer. I never use alcohol on my pipes, haven't needed to.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mikestanley nails it. Tip a paper towel in iso and squish it into the bowl and get the rest of that stain out of there. The dip-stained pipes always taste a little weird, so you might have to smoke thru the off taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.