PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I just got My 1940 Kirsten pipe in the mail today and all the moving parts are frozen tight, anyone know how to free it up? Thanks ROD (ace57)

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
If it's cause the stem won't release from the shank a trip to freeser for about twenty minutes should help. I've used it after it was suggested by other members. works fine for me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Some time in the fridge may help shrink the parts that are stuck. Be very gentle. First I would run a pipe cleaner through the stem as far as it will go. Soak the pipe cleaner in vodka first as it may loosen things up a bit. If all else fails then consider sending it to a professional pipe restorer. Good luck.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
try warming up the pipe where the stem goes in and not the stem. same principle as getting a stuck nut off of a bolt with a torch, just dont put too much heat on it. holding some ice on the stem may help the stem from expanding as you warm the pipe up.

if nothing else works, just throw it in the tub :lol:

dont know if this would work or not or possibly leave residual taste, but try letting it soak in a mild soapy water solution (you already know how to do that :laughat:) or some olive or veggie oil which may be able to penetrate as like when you use a penetrating oil, wd40, jb80, powerblaster on a rusted bolt.
if anyone thinks this may be bad for the pipe please say it so ace doesnt damage his pipe!

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
thanks to all, Im trying the vodka 1st. At least I can drink that if it don't work. I'll let You how it worked.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I've never owned a Kirsten, but they're all metal apart from the bowl right ?

Removing the bowl, and soaking the rest of the pipe in something to loosen it up should work.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Papipeguy, IT WORK!!!! Thank You so much. I soaked it in vodka for 20 min. and it came apart.Thanks to all for Your input. This Group is tops in My book. ROD (ace57)

Status
Not open for further replies.