PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willwoodbine

Lurker
Nov 30, 2012
th_IMG_0440.jpg

Theres a hole in this pipe. Not a nasty, someone did naughty things to me kind of hole, but a nice somewhat glamoroues shiny hole with a metal sleeve. Is this a display pipe, or is this a property of the pipe. Its a ROPP AIR-DRY Made In France.
It has been smoked previously (alot- the stem has a hole, and there was a huge soot flavoured cake in the bowl.
Dont want to sit refurbing a non smoker.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
First time I've seen a hole in pipe on purpose lol.
Would love to hear the older folks with more pipe smoking knowledge chime in on it.
Congrats on getting the pics to work. :puffy:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've never seen anything like that before.
The only thing I can figure is that it's used for draining condensation. Suppose it could draft air to make it stay lit better too.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It looks like a carburettor. Kaywoodie and a few other brands made them. You put your finger or thumb over the hole and whenever you puff,you let go and let some cool air in with the smoke. Never used one on a tobacco pipe but that's the general idea.

willwoodbine

Lurker
Nov 30, 2012
that what I thought, a large number of pipe I got along this one appeared to of been burned through, but its the pieve of metal thats odd. and the bottom of the bowl is still rounded, no pitting, or odd bits.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Interesting. I'm familiar with Nording's Aerosphere that is supposed to offer a similar principle. This pipe reminded me of that idea.

Aug 14, 2012
It's as the Baron says. I had a similar hole in my old meerschaum. My hole was caused by 30 years of emptying it with a sharp object. I soon realized that it was also a drain. Instead of the liquid building up, it just dripped out the bottom. It saved on pipecleaners. You covered it with your finger to draw on the pipe. It seems like your pipemaker put in the drain intentionally. After smoking the pipe, try blowing through it, after emptying, and see if moisture comes out. Trumpets have similar holes to blow out moisture. If you don't like your hole, fill it or tape over it.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
That carburetor idea had better work like a dream to make up for the inconvenience of a pipe that drips. It would have cost me a good number of shirts...

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I'm absolutely blown away... I never saw such a thing. But I believe it now. I'll have nothing to do

with it, but I believe it. My Chevy and Fords have a hole... But going one way... And that's the way

I like my pipes. I draw down the stem, and I expect that's the only way the flow can go. I wouldn't have

a carburetor or manifold that directed flow somewhere else.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have an old carb. pipe here that I don't use. I believe it is an old Grabow. The pipe you are showing mate, is an attempt to create a carb. pipe. Doesn't take much to make it work either, it is fairly simple to create.

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
I used to have a kaywoodie carburetor and ill worn you now becareful because very hot steam can come out of that hole sometimes. If that happens youll burn hand and drop the pipe like i did and then your laps also full of hot embers. No good at all lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.