PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarnes

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a soon to be new pipe smoker. I just purchased two pipes, a Missouri Meerschaum corn cobb pipe and a slightly smaller so-called "basket" pipe (I guess). When I bought my pipes I also picked up pouch of Peterson Aran and Mixture 79. In doing some research, I'd also like to pick up a bit of Orlik Golden Sliced, which seems to be a standard recommendation for new smokers.
I haven't smoked a bowl yet (blasphemy, right?!) as I've been doing reading and watching Youtube videos for beginners -- Gray Bailey is the man, BTW. I'm planning on ordering some 1oz bags of bulk tobacco of various sorts to see what I like.
Anyway, just wanted to say hello!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Pipe smoking, like life, is a journey. Take it slow, but don't be afraid to experiment. Welcome to the site. Lots of great people and ideas here.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome to the forums. I have fond memories of Tennessee. My great grandparents had a small farm near Dyersburg...no running water and an outhouse. We visited a few times in the 60's. My brother and I would spend much of the day exploring the woods behind the house. Great adventures for a couple of young boys.

ckarnes

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
Thanks for the welcome everyone. We are just outside Knoxville. Recently moved here from Arizona where we've spent the last 4 1/2 years, though I am originally from WV. It feels like I've moved back home!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy & welcome, ck! That wouldn't be Maryville you're from, would it? Where'bouts in AZ? I love it out there! Btw, if you want to check out a good brick/mortar & make it over to Gatlinburg, check out the Gatlinburlier, in Mountain Mall. Good people there, & really know their stuff. Not at all outlandishly expensive for a touristy town either.
Bill

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
" I'm planning on ordering some 1oz bags of bulk tobacco of various sorts to see what I like."
As a fairly new pipe smoker, that's what I've been doing. You can really sample a lot of great blends and styles without breaking the bank.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Welcome ckarnes! I've been to and through Tennessee quite a few times. From North Carolina, myself. If you want some samples of some good stuff, you could always check out Boswell's. They have quite a few sample packs of different themed samplers like a summer and winter I think, as well as a few others. I need to try more of their blends myself, but the ones I have are fantastic.

ckarnes

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
Bill - Actually, Farragut (though my address is technically Knoxville), so not too far from Maryville. We lived in Tucson during our time in AZ. I had wondered about the Gatlinburlier and figured I'd give them a look next time I'm in Gatlinburg.
I just placed an order from Pipes and Cigars for some Orlik Golden Sliced, Lane 1-Q, Sutliff Burma Road, and Peter Stokkebye 17 English Luxury.

ckarnes

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
I actually got my pipes and tobacco at Smoky's. Drooled over the fancier pipes in the case but went with the cheaper pipes initially. ;)

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Welcome from Gatlinburg. When you get the chance, check out the Gatlinburlier. The guys are great, especially Richard, and they have some unique pipes. The atmosphere and conversation is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.