PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
About 35 years ago I owned one pipe that I smoked on occasion. Once we started a family I quit...thought it was the right thing to do. A few months ago I visited the local Tinder Box with my oldest son (cigar smoker) and that's when the "pipe bug" bit me.
I live 45 minutes northwest of St. Charles the location of the Chicago Pipe Show and attended it with my son and son-in-law. The pipe community now has three new members. At the show I purchased a Savinelli Clark's Favorite Smooth and 18 bags of tobacco samples.
I have three pipes in my collection, the Savinelli, a Dagner Poker Cob and a basket pipe from Tinder Box.
I enjoy the forum and I have learned so much in the past few months. I look forward to being part of the community.

Thank you everyone who emphasizes dry the tobacco and sip, not puff. I'm just starting to taste the flavors. I'm loving it!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Welcome scloyd! The next meeting of the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club is Saturday, June 23rd. Please, come join us! We have pipe smokers of all experience levels. All are warmly welcomed. Officially, the meeting starts at 8pm at 8 to 8 Cigars in Villa Park, but most guys start arriving around 7pm. Hope to see you there. There's a $10/meeting fee to help cover expenses.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@craig I live between Chicago and Rockford. I will consider it. Thanks for the invite.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Welcome to the forums! You know, I have actually looked at that same model Savinelli? Although I kind of like the texture of the brownblast version over the smooth, but I'm a very tactile person. Excellent taste I must say!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome! I was born 30 miles N of Chicago, grew up 80 miles SSW of the city. But now in N CA. I also had a long layoff till I resumed about 5 years ago.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@carolinachurchwarden I went to the Chicago Pipe Show with the plans to purchase a churchwarden and left with the Savinelli Clark's Favorite. It caught my eye and I had to buy it.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
1/2 day late & half a buck short, but welcome. Trust me, you're going to love it here. Some of us are a little daft, but we're mostly harmless. Mostly. ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All good pipes! I really like my Dagner/MM cob, a fine compact smoker with plenty of bowl for its size. I own more Savinellis than any other. And my first pipe was a Tinder Box house pipe, a St. Ives possibly by Chacom. I grew up in a northwest near suburb of Chicago, Park Ridge, and rode the train in commuting to my first two years of college, U o I at Navy Pier and then Congress Circle on the West Side.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@ carolina churchwarden I smoke it with the balsa filter and I'm very pleased with the pipe. Right now I'm currently smoking about 1-2 bowls a day 3-4 days a week.
@3rdguy Not too far away. My profile pic is from last fall at the Effigy Mounds. I go camping at the Yellow River State Forest near Harper's Ferry, Ia. every fall. We occasionally will go into Dubuque when we go to Galena. Any good smoke shops in Dubuque?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Old buddy of mine owns a cabin up in Harper's Ferry. Not a single smoke shop here :( Galena had one but I believe it closed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.