PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

osuilleabhain

Lurker
Feb 24, 2013
I'm new here & have been browsing this forum as well as others. Impressive camaraderie to say the least. It's a pleasure to join such an open respectful & helpful community. I'm back to the pipe at middle age after too many years away. Starting back smarter & more relaxed. The wealth of information & advice from members makes a great daily read. I've always known in the back of my mind that I'd take up pipe again. It's more than a pastime or hobby. It's a part of life that's a way of life, really. I'm blessed to recently have acquired a startup collection of quality estate pipes, tobacco, and airtight glass jars. First question: has anyone here carved their own Hard Maple or Ash pipe? Thanks

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hiya Os;

Welcome and get stuffin those jars ;) As you know we love our tobacco, talking about it and best smokin it and it a golden rule if you come in talkin "nice starter collection" of pipes and tobacco...Well Pics! If you been checking out the forum you had to know we would want to see some pics! We love them all, well probabaly Rad's the most...;) But the bonus is if you don't know what some are, there's someone here that does. Vintage tobacco! Please tease us, you may get some very nice trade offers for some samples. Hint Hint.
But welcome aboard, It's 3:30AM I just woke up from a pill induced coma this afternoon. So it's a few bowls and postin till dawn as the rest sleep.
Craig

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
welcome, glad to hear your back on the pipe. this is a great place, great people. you will become addicted too this forum.
mike.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Welcome! I agree, totally commendable folks around here. Any questions or intresting thoughts, just share 'em here. We love all that stuff here. And many happy years of puffing to you sir!

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
Welcome friend, haven't carved any of my own pipes, but I would love to try and probably will eventually.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The kits with the block of wood pre-drilled with a shaped stem seem like the best way to start. Otherwise,

you will be tempted to buy all kinds of tools for drilling and shaping before you know if you want to do this

more than once. I have not carved my own pipe from a kit or otherwise. A friend who has seen some efforts

says the ones he's seen are not good. Carving is a talent like oil painting or dancing the tango. Some have

it and most don't. But if you discovered you were talented, you'd have at least one of your callings in life.

One step at a time, I'd say. Also, the kit would provide a standard briar, so you wouldn't spend a lot of time

working in some wood that might make a nice carving but wouldn't make a good pipe. The pipe kits come

with either straight or bent stem. If I were doing one, I think I would leave it unfinished other than a coat

of wax. Staining a pipe would be a second learning curve. I don't think anyone should think of this as a

possible career unless they have carved dozens of pipes and the results are way above average. Look at

the incredible competition out there. Most carvers apprentice at least informally with a master carver.

Hats off to you if you can carve just one pipe you enjoy smoking. After that, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.