PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2013
Hey, really liked your forum here so i thought i'd join. Also,.... I'm new/ish to pipes (i've been smoking them off and on since i was 18) but i've found these mini meerschaums online for about $30...... i ordered some corncobs from this site but they said they're backordered and if i'd like to change my order i'm welcome to, so i'm thinking about ordering one of these mini's. does anybody have one? are they worth "it" or anything? I like the sleek look of a meerschaum but i don't want something that's a joke. Of course, I'm sure a lot of you will probably suggest i just wait and buy a real meerschaum, but i just want something simple and white and cool.
anyways, i'd appreciate the advice.

kudos on the smoke

and later ya'll!

Jul 15, 2011
If you're finding them where I think you're finding them (the name of the website escapes me at the moment but if I saw the layout I would know what it is) I would STRONGLY advise you against buying one. $30 isn't going to get you much of a meerschaum, and that meerschaum is likely going to be very poor quality. It's hard to go wrong with a corn cob, I use mine for aromatic tobaccos as they smoke nice and dry. Id highly suggest hitting up briarbid or ebay to hunt for a nice estate meerschaum pipe, youre almost sure to find something in your price range. Welcome to the forum and we hope you enjoy your stay!

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
My current philosophy is that if I have the money, I will invest in a nicer pipe. If I don't, I go for a Missouri Meerschaum cornncob. This way I can still have enough pipes in my rotation, but I won't end up with a pile of random briars. Nothing against random basket briars, but I just prefer a nicer briar if I can afford it.
I haven't encountered a corncob that wasn't a good smoker. Then again, I've only smoked one (I have two unsmoked cobs waiting to used). But really, you'll find that most people on these forums love their cobs.
-Swilly

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
$30 is less than you would spend at the movies for two. You get what you pay for has always been my mantra.

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
If you want a little display piece they are great collectibles. As for their use as smokers, zero to none. Cheap meerschaums tend to be pressed from dust and held together with a binding agent (i.e. Epoxy). The binder can add its flavor to your tobacco and it wont color like a real meerschaum. The couple of minis i own also smell like petroleum wax was used instead of beeswax and i wont smoke with them. If its the size you want you can get small pipes and nosewarmers cheap enough and if its a meerschaum you want a good block one will run you more than $30 (generally) but can still be found at an affordable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.