PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Got into an interesting conversation with a veteran animator at Warners today. He spotted me with pipe in hand as I was heading out for lunch, and began to reminisce about pipe smoking and how he used to smoke a pipe years ago.
Then he mentioned that he had worked for Hefner as an animator on one of his TV shows and had visited the Playboy Mansion on a number of occasions. On one such visit Hefner had presented him with a pipe that had the Playboy logo stamped on it and had invited him to stay for dinner.
As my friend related this to me he smiled and added that both he and Hef smoked the same mixture and that it was their favorite. At dinner, Hefner's butler brought out a bag of it and placed it on the table for Hefner's use. The blend? Mixture 79.

• Love
Reactions: PeterPipersPizza

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hefner also smoked Sail (dunno which one), his long time assistant told me. He also said Hef quit smoking many years ago. Guess the women liked his fame and parties more than the tobacco. :crazy:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Well, Hefner became a caricature of his self-manufactured image many years ago. That happens to a lot of people.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Gene Hill, the late outdoor writer and columnist for "Field & Stream Magazine," was an acquaintance of mine who once described a pipe-tobacco as tasting like, "...violets and orange rind...". As I think about that now I cannot help but believe that he was describing Mixture No. 79!

Status
Not open for further replies.