Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, it comes in a real flake! It has the same flavor, except it smokes more like a flake... duh. Anyways, I was excited to see this and wanted to send out a "Heck yeh!"

5EB8EC5D-4D95-4830-8768-F6B1D7A2527D_zpsdtl9e0rd.jpg

I think I taste more hints of the licorice in the casing. I hate licorice candy, but as a casing for Virginias, it's pretty darn good. But, I still don't like all the fidgiting with a bowl that flakes demand. I'm just breaking them up about as much as I would the broken flake version. But, it was exciting to try. I'll just keep on putting back the round tins.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I recently finished a tin from 2004 or so. Time has been kind to it. Medium sweet, bite free, dark, rich.Rather similar to a tin of marlin Flake from the late 1990's I currently have open. The newer style flakes certainly are prettier.
Mike S.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I was about to be all in on this tobacco, but anytime anyone utters the word "licorice" my gag reflex locks in and prevents any part of me from involvement. If Ferrari made the most stunning supercar and called it The Licorice, my reflex would prevent me from even getting near one.... and I LOVE Ferraris.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Looks delicious!
I was about to be all in on this tobacco, but anytime anyone utters the word "licorice" my gag reflex locks in and prevents any part of me from involvement.
We call this "Post-Mixture 79 Olfactory Syndrome." Basically, you have encountered a licorice horror and it will take some time to build you back up so that you can enjoy, say, Irish Flake (this is the name of the blend, not a historical summary).

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Worth adding to the above:
Licorice as casing (and by implication, not a top flavoring) appears more frequently than I thought. At least, I keep detecting it on the fringes of the flavor profiles of certain blends I enjoy quite a bit.
I wonder if it has a chemical property that helps make tobacco a bit punchier...

Status
Not open for further replies.