PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Is heating mason jars really necessary for tobacco cellar 2-5 years? Will the tobacco in a non heat sealed mason be more dry than the mason jar that is heat sealed?
Also I noticed one mason jar that no longer has the bow in the lid so that it pops when pressed down almost as if I heat sealed it but I didn't do anything but throw it into the jar. Why would that happen? I would think it would do the opposite

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've done it both ways, heated and not heated, and it works both ways. The theory on heating before sealing, as I understand it, is that the amount of air in the jar is slightly diminished, so there is less of it when sealed, and so it takes less time for those little critters to use up the oxygen left in the jar. Once the oxygen is depleted the critters croak out and the weed ages in an anaerobic environment. Same thing happens in an unheated jar, just takes a little longer.
The two important things for longer term aging are to pack the contents tight, allowing no more than 1/4 inch of air between the top of the packed tobacco and the lid, and to have an airtight seal. You need a little bit of air at the beginning or the critters can't do their beneficial work.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's a pain in the ass and unnecessary in my opinion. Just throw the tobacco in a jar, slap the lid on and it will seal itself over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.