PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I have tried a bunch of different Hearth and Home blends but haven't really found any to my liking. When I looked at descriptions of everything that I have tried, I realized that all the blends I've tried are pretty Burley heavy, and I have never tried anything from them that has Latakia. I want to get the pipes and cigars sampler of Hearth and Home blends and get some VaPers and some Latakia blends. Which ones do you guys have experience with? I have heard good things about Anniversary Kake, AJ's VaPer, and Larry's Blend, but what else is good? Anyone tried their Obsidian or 10 to Midnight? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
cheaper to the customer the better..did I just say that? You have a good start...read between the lines!

Jul 15, 2011
cheaper to the customer the better..did I just say that?
Not sure I completely understand what you were trying to say there. On another note, I was digging through an old drawer and found a 2 oz sample of Beverwyck that I bought some time ago. I read the description and though it does have Burley in it, I dont think its very prominent, and it does have Latakia. Might have to give it a go tomorrow.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I really like the Beverwyck. It starts with the spicy burley, but mellows to the Latakia very quickly. I think the perique is very low key. I am considering it for an all day tobacco, it's that good.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Black House and Magnum Opus are 2 great blends. If you want some perique, Frenchy's Sunzabitches.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Those sampler deals for the H&H blends are a great way to try out Russ's blends!

I've been through a fair few of em', here are my favorites so far.
AJ's VaPer - Va, Perique, BLack Cavendish

Red Va's and the BC make this mild and sweet without covering up the Perque.
Louisiana - Red Va, Perique

Similar to AJ's, not quite as sweet, more focus on the Perique.
Strike Force - Va, Latakia, Perique, Turkish, Cigar

Cigar and Lat bold, Perique spicy!
Ten to Midnight - Va, Latakia, Turkish

Similar to Ten Russians, a little spicier perhaps but a favorite for me all the same.
Larry's Blend - Va, Latakia, Orientals

Almost a Lat bomb, I'm still trying to get my head around this one. Faint bitter from the Orientals.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you'd like to list some of your current favorites, I can recommend a list for your sampler.
Russ

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
PipeNo - you can't beat an offer from RussO himself to get an expert opinion. Obsidian to me a somewhat like Peretti's Midnight and C&D Mississippi Mud, certainly visually and for cool smoking with Lat. I'm fond of Victorian Stroll for a breakfast starter, and it along with Larry's Blend and 10 to Midnight are in my Top100 Cellar.
hp

les

Jul 12, 2011
H&H Anni Kake is very good, also I hear C&D Bulk of Night Train over at P&C is also very good (and can't beat it at $29./16oz)

Jul 15, 2011
Gotta try Armada for your Lat fix!!!
Hadnt looked at Armada, but I will certainly give it a look.
PM sent Russ, and thank you for taking the time to work on a recommendation for me. Thanks for all the other suggestions fellas! Much appreciated!

Jul 15, 2011
Strike Force - Va, Latakia, Perique, Turkish, Cigar
OTD, I think you might have just sold me on Strike Force. That sounds like a damn tasty mixture. I'm still waiting to hear back from Russ as to what he thinks I might like, and I look forward to his opinion. Thanks again for all the help fellas. This is one of the reasons I love this forum so much.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Pipe tobacco choices are flat out daunting. Ever go to a resteraunt with a 10 page menu? Moderately annoying, but if the cook is good you sample many things over a long period of time.
10 to midnight

Louisiana red

Anniversary cake

Jul 15, 2011
I still would love to hear what Russ thinks, but I have been cobbling together a list in my head based on the things you guys have told me, and I have cooked up a sampler in my head. Tell me what you think of this:
AJs VaPer

Anniversary Kake

Strike Force

Victorian Stroll

Larry's Blend

10 to Midnight
Yes? No? Maybe? Let me know what you think!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
For wanting to try out Russ's blends with the focus on Lat use and on VaPers that looks like a good start as any.

A start only mind.

Your bound to enjoy enough out of those 6, if not all of em', that you'll end up getting additional new H&H blends to try.

The sampler deal comes in at what, $2.75 an ounce? Coupled with the quality of the blends that makes for some fine tobacco exploration!

Jul 15, 2011
All right everyone. I got an email from Russ this morning, and this was the list he prepared for me based on the preferences that I listed for him:
Larry's Blend

Armada

Namaste

Obsidian

Ambassador's Blend

Anniversary Kake
I am so torn on this one. Dare I order two samplers?! :mrgreen:

Jul 15, 2011
My boss definitely won't be mad at you if you order two samplers.
Itll only help to further pipesandcigars record setting year, right? In all honesty, I think I have made my decision. Getting ready to put the order in now. Thanks to everyone for their input and thanks again to Russ for the recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.