PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Looking for opinions on these tobaccos. Was noticing the buy 2 get one free sale at P&C, which is a great deal, but I've n experience with them.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Well,I'm sitting here looking at probably 25 pounds worth of different H&H blends. If that tells you anything...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have smoked a number of them. Larry's Blend and Beverwyck are staples. Black House is also very good. Definitely worth exploring.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I didnt get the notice of this special. is this something you need to use a code for?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I picked up a bulk H&H sampler earlier this year - 2 oz. each of six different blends. I've been working my way through them, and for the most part I've enjoyed them. I split the sampler between aromatics and English/Latakia blends: Berry Nice, Grandma's Kitchen, and Vermont Meat Candy (aros) , House of Lords, Victorian Stroll, and Daybreak (lats) .
I can't say I much care for the Berry Nice. It smells okay, but like so many aros, it tastes nothing like it smells. Grandma's Kitchen does better, and the flavor is more well-rounded, but Vermont Meat Candy is definitely my favorite of this trio - hints of maple and bacon show up in the flavor and the room note, and the tobacco smokes well.
The Englishes are a little harder to distinguish, at least to my relatively inexperienced palate. I definitely enjoy them all, but I think I like Daybreak the best of the three at this point. It's a little lighter, a good morning smoke. The other two are more in-your-face, but not quite at the level of Black House, which I also enjoy greatly. To use a Scotch analogy, Black House is like Laphroaig, while House of Lords is like Lagavulin... both good examples of the type, but preference will be a matter of one's taste.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Phred, now I'm stuck at work craving some Lagavulin 16. This sucks... The only H&H i've had is Anni Kake and I jarred a pound and a half of it after a few bowls sampled.

B

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I've only smoked three H&H blends.
Louisiana Red, Black House, and Anniversary Kake-
LA Red was a nice sharp citrus like smoke. I quite liked it and have always been meaning to order more.
Black House was good but I found it kind of muted after the first 1/3 of the bowl. HOWEVER I'm not a huge fan of Balkans so I think that was more a "me" problem then the tobacco's problem. It's not that it was bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Anni Kake I actually had some trouble with. I felt that it carried a little too much of a "wine" taste. But I jarred it up and will be breaking it out again to see what's what.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
These are my favorite H&H blends:
  • Anniversary Kake

Capitol Stairs

LJ Heart Burley

Louisiana Red

Rolando's Own

Virginia Spice

Angler's Dream

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tarak:
I'm a huge fan of Hearth and Home and consider them one of the very best values available.
I enjoy their English smokes: Larry's Blend, Ten to Midnight, Black House and Magnum Opus. (But, I'm also stashing away AJ's VaPer and Rolando's Own in case my tastes ever change.) Man, at $17.41 for an 8 oz. tin you can't beat that price for quality leaf.
Fnord

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have tried Black House, at the time I didn't quite care for it. Could be time to try it again.

Anniversary Kake is in my cellar. I really enjoy that smoke!

Berry Nice, was a meh smoke for me.

Vermont Meat Candy as Phred noted was a great smoke!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Just grab some that strikes your fancy and give it a whirl. There are many blends from P&C that are great. I don't think you can go wrong with picking any of them up. The best way to get experience with tobaccos is to purchase them and give them a try. Pull the trigger, you won't be sorry.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I don't have a lot of experience with this tobacco, but I do want to include some Anni Kake in my next order. Is that a good "crossover" tobacco? That is, for a guy who will be transitioning from aros to more English blends?

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
=============

olewaylon wrote:

I didnt get the notice of this special.

is this something you need to use a code for?

===================================
I got no notice either and could find no mention of it on their Website ... BUT

I put three LA Reds in my shopping cart, then clicked "check out" ... it showed charges for all three, but after the subtotal, showed a discount for the amount of the cost of one, leaving the cost of two as the total before s/h

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Berry Nice and Caramel Apple Pie are the only two H&H I've smoked, both smell wonderful out of the tin but taste rather bland. Probably won't try any more H&H blends for a while since I have so many other brands I like and many I still want to try.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Bullbriar- I haven't smoked it, but Anni Cake does not look to be an English blend- unless by "English" you mean non-armomatic. A very large, imperfect breakdown of tobacco might be:
Aro- sweetened/cased

Virginia- pure, uncase virginia leaf blends

English- essentially defined by the presence of Latakia.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
The only H&H Blend I've smoked so far is Magnum Opus, and it's one of the best tobacco blends of any sort I've ever tried. It's a delicious English with plenty of Lat mixed with incense-like orientals that delivers a leathery mouth feel and a very dry (as in not sweet) flavor. It's great. But it's also super impressive in that it's that rare blend in which no single flavor jumps out as a separate experience. Nor is it one of those blends where first it tastes like X, then it tastes like Y -- it's just immaculately balanced from first puff to last. A great smoke, and a great bit of blending. Makes me want to try some other H&H blends.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Tarak,

Thanks for the info. I thought that if it had perique, like AK has, it was still an English style. Still so much to learn.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Thanks for the nice comments, folks. I'm working on some new blends for the future, but it's been pretty crazy for me, lately. I'm usually available in my office at 610-297-9051 x254 Monday through Friday from around 8 am to 6 pm, or you can email me at russo@pipesandcigars.com, if I can be of any help.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.