PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I am smoking it right now. It is an interesting blend, and by interesting I mean I can't decide whether I like it or not. It has Maduro leaf, Virginia, Burley, Oriental, Dark Fired, Black Cavendish and Perique in it. The most interesting part is I taste different type of tobacco in each puff. It is really dry and burns really well. Is there anyone who has tried this one before?

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I'm not sure why, but I don't recall ever seeing this one. I've somehow managed to never try a cigar based pipe tobacco. This one sounds like fun though.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I may have to get some since my recent Potlatch experience, maybe do a side-by-side or something. I'd like to see how other blenders approach the "kitchen sink" blends.
I've got one or two blends cellared with cigar but not tried them yet.
All this damned working for a living, burning up valuable pipe time..... :puffpipe:
jay-roger.jpg

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Does anyone know whatever happened to the latakia cigars? Either my google skills are crap (very possible) or they were a flash in the pan. I've been looking but no luck.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I liked it. Here's my review:
The very tasty maduro cigar leaf is the same used in H&H's Virginia Spice, and is ably complimented by the unflavored brown sugary black cavendish in regard to sweetness. The perique is more plum than pepper, and interacts nicely with the spice, dry wood and buttery sweet Oriental, which, while a minor player (as is the perique), provides a necessary bass flavor hit. The burleys are toasty and a little nutty in a support role. The Virginia is lightly citrus sweet and grassy, acting as a base for the other components to play off. The nic-hit is mild to medium. A well blended smoke with some complexity that burns at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor. Won't bite, and has no harsh spots nor any cigarette or ashy notes. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant after taste. It's a three star plus mixture, and is almost an all day smoke.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Jim, the first thing I do after trying a new blend is going to TR and checking your review about that blend. I have an ounce of it, will try to make my way through it and post later about my thoughts.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Ouch! 7 tobaccos! I thought cigars were usually 2 or 3. The kitchen sink in a barrage of flavors; I think my palate would be confused. I've always distrusted this approach in Danish pipe blends. Having been distrustful, I haven't smoked them, so opinion only.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Damn you guys have to get me all excited about a new blend to find out it's no longer available. :crying:

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We may be bringing back some of the retired H&H blends for limited runs in bulk only. Keep your eyes peeled. (Where the hell did that phrase come from, anyway?)
Russ

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Keep your eyes peeled. (Where the hell did that phrase come from, anyway?)
It dates back to the 1820s in Britain, when Sir Robert Peel established the first organised police force. The officers were known as 'peelers, or 'bobbies'.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Keep your eyes peeled. (Where the hell did that phrase come from, anyway?)
It dates back to the 1820s in Britain, when Sir Robert Peel established the first organised police force. The officers were known as 'peelers, or 'bobbies'."

Actually it originates from meaning to keep one's eyes open by virtue of peeling one's eyelids back. Not so common is to keep one's eyes skinned which means precisely the same thing. Nothing to do with Sir Robert Peel.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Seems to be some debate about that one. https://www.quora.com/Where-did-the-phrase-Keep-your-eyes-peeled-originate

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
So, I smoked the last bowl of it this morning and after the lunch. As I mentioned 9 months ago, I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not in the beginning but the last two bowls of it made me realize again how our preferences change. It is a complex blend indeed and very underrated IMHO (thanks again Russ). And since Jim mentioned Virginia Spice, I am going to fill my cigar leaf blend spot with that one for now.

Virginia Spice is definitely unique among VaPers. It doesn't have a cigar flavor, IMO, or at least not an obvious one, but you can feel the cigar. I stocked back 20 tins and have been sparingly pulling one out a year in the summer. I absolutely love it. I need to go ahead and just stockpile even more. It's one of those that I would get nervous if I got down to the last 5 tins.
I have yet to try Stogie. I need to get back on my "new blends" game; I've been complacent with my known favorites lately. I need to branch out again and check out some of these sleepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.