PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
<p>A Law Enforcement friend told me of a new Scam, your remote key locker is being cloned by crooks when you walk away and lock your car remotely. Locking with key at door does not activate the remote code. A young man stopped at a rest area, locked it with remote, van was nearby and when he came back everything in his car was gone, Van was gone. It's Christmas fellows, don't let your guard down. Merry Christmas.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Damn! I don't have a key for my car, only remotes. So for me I won't be leaving the car out of sight at rest stops, nor leaving anything of value in it. (I hide my pipes with silver bands, thinking the plain lookers won't attract a thief.)
Good heads up for the Hols.

When shopping for a new truck last week, I kept getting handed a fob for the keyless ignition. I always tossed the fob back and told them to show me another model. The whole idea of keyless repulsed me. It’s up there with driver-assist parking. They can put those things... Hell, those stearingwheel locks are still a good seller around here for a reason. Everyone ignores a car alarm, and the kids stealing cars and trucks know more about technology than a car salesman. The Autozone guy says they sale about a gross of those “Clubs” for locking a steering wheel a week, and it’s usually to former victims. And, a locking gas cap is always the first item I buy when driving off a car lot. I’ve had my gas tank drained twice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ain't technology great? Thank you for the warning. It's gotten to be a habit using the keyless jimcrack. Switching between two cars, it's hard to remember which starts off the key fob and which needs the key in the ignition. This post makes another good point. Christmas is a high energy time for scammers of every kind. The guy who shows up at your door with a sob story about needing gas for his truck, which is nowhere in sight, and promises to pay you back tomorrow by leaving cash under the door mat. The folks who wander Walmart parking lots with a young kid in tow and a long sob story. Tell 'em you'll put an extra dollar in the Salvation Army bucket for them. I hate to be heartless, but the scammers are more heartless. It's always good to have a heads up since the imaginations of scammers are ever-active, always a new trick.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Brad, how many vehicles have you lost to skimmers? How many do you actually know of? This isn't new either. It has existed for years.

This is another of those tin-hat deals. Oh, don't use your credit card at the gas pump either, there are shady characters sitting out there stealing your info when you do.
I love my iPad.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I've actually had a skimmer issue with a new Exxon Station not far from my house in a little village. I stopped to check it out and while I was there they had a no ethonal pump. Inserted my card and damn it was very hard to insert, went to owner, she came out and lol and behold when technician came out someone had installed a skimmer. She apologized I said that's not your fault, but I ripped her ass at being an Exxon station and not selling Mobil 1 oil. She just beamed and said I like ornery old bearded men, took the wind out of my sails. I Garronte. :laughat:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Those "the Club" brand steering wheel locks are awesome. The heavy-duty version, I think it's called the XL, will lock in any given position even if it is not on the steering wheel. Which makes it a really good actual club, should you ever need it as such. It's no shillelagh, but it's a close second.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I just bought a 2017 Jetta. I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I'll miss my SUV, but it was time. It has a key, and is a manual. Hopefully no one tries to take it, and if they do, maybe they won't be able to drive stick. Thanks for the heads up Brad. :puffy:

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
gloucesterman As evil as it is, if you remember back they used to smash out your window and then empty out the car. Times change but sadly people don't.
I know people that never lock their car for this reason. They keep it clean and unlocked. Cars are easy targets for vandalism or pilfering. Stealing cars is less common than burglarizing the property stored in them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I stopped using my debit card at the pump several years ago. Not as convenient, but I'm the one swiping my card inside the gas station where more than likely no scammer device has been installed. I'm getting good at estimating how much gas to preorder based on price and how empty the tank is so that I don't need to get the refund for the unpumped gas, but when I do it's just a matter of a few more minutes.
I'm going to get a locking gas cap. The remote on my 2000 Avalon stopped working several years ago. I like the idea of the steering wheel gizmo.
A friend of mine had his car vandalized by crackheads who approach shoppers in the parking lot at Wal-Mart when rebuffed. That will teach you! I'm not sure the three heirs to Sam's fortune, each of them inheriting 40 billion, can see their way clear to enhanced parking lot security;).
Great thread.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Used to live in an area known for labs and the procurers of concoctions produced in said labs. Locking gas cap, kept anything of value in the trunk, old car so key was necessary, doors left unlocked, windows down when warm/dry. Installed a cd played but didn't mount it, just left it on the floor ripe for the taking, nothing more than a bandana draped over. Windows were never broken, car was never burgled, never even found a bum sleeping in it. Can't say the same for others.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Yeah, that method has been around for many years actually. There are 2 options; either the equipment that the scammer has will prevent your car from receiving the signal from the remote key (thus leaving the vehicle unlocked) or more complicated device will record the signal and clone it (so that the scammer can unlock the vehicle).

Status
Not open for further replies.