PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Taking a little vacation time next week and travelling to Germany. Leaving Saturday evening, arriving Sunday morning in Berlin.
Planning on taking a couple of pipes and several tins of tobacco along. Hopefully, enjoying some good restaurants/bars and looking for some good pipe/tobacco shops while I'm there.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Last time I was there (2014) it was free for the first 200 cigarettes. Not sure about pipe tobaccos. Maybe anyone else can weigh in?

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
HU! Yes. I just recently received a few tins of some highly rated blends. Dockworker didn't lasted a week...
I was stationed in the tiny town of Kirch Goens back in the early 80's for a couple of years and what a tremendous experience. Got my first two tatoos in Frankfurt. I remember driving tanks through small towns in the middle of the night making a horrible racket, thinking about the poor residents trying to sleep.
2 years was not nearly enough and I didn't want to leave. Sure wish I was smoking pipes back then. I distinctly remember going through small towns a seeing older gentlemen sitting on benches enjoying their pipes. If I only knew then what I know now.
Oh... the beer... Good God, the beer! Been ruined ever since.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
How I miss thee Paulaner Dunkel! Let me count the ways...
Dunno which route you're taking Redglow. When I went I entered the Schengen zone through Iceland, so that's where I had to talk to the customs clerk. At no point was I asked if I carried alcohol or tobacco. Coming back home to Canada, however, was a different story.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I appreciate it! Sounds like it should be trouble free as far as traveling with the tins.
I have a variety of tobaccos going along for the trip:
PS Luxury Bullseye Flake (filled an old Escudo tin)

PS Balkan Supreme (1 oz)

Escudo (1 tin)

GL Pease Quiet Nights (1 tin)

Dunhill London Mixture (1 tin)
Planning on visiting some tobacco/pipe shops over there as well.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
According to the zoll.de (German customs) website the tobacco allowance is 250g for visitors so 5 tins should be OK. (A typical tin being around 50g). (Limits are per person.)
I wish I could say the same for Australia were the limit for visitors (and returning residents) was reduced to 25g per person; so I could only legally bring back 1 tin from a trip to Europe with my wife last year.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Just a quick addendum to my post above; 250g is the limit if you are arriving in Germany from outside of the EU (i.e. on a direct flight from N. America).

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Since you’re under the limit walk through the green (nothing to declare) arch when you hit customs by baggage claim. In almost 100 trips to Germany I’ve never seen anyone walk through the red arch. I think they’d have a stroke if someone did. Or subject you to waterboarding and a cavity search.
By the way, I don’t know Berlin particularly well; any chance you’re visiting Hamburg or Munich? Each has pipe/tobacco stores worth seeing.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Thanks jguss!
Will do. I’ll leave the Balkan behind just to be sure. Since it’s not labeled.
I wish I had time to go to Hamburg and Munich! Maybe next time.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Redglow, this might not work for you, but regardless. When I travelled, I left ALL my tobacco behind. I went in with only two pipes and accoutrements. My idea was to buy the tobacco there, and bring back as much as possible. If I had gone in with toby, that woulda increased the amount I would be coming back with, possibly putting me beyond the Canadian duty-free allowance (5 units of tobacco), and thus limiting the amount of cigars and pipe tobacco I could bring back.
As I noted in your previous thread, Berlin has enough tobacconists in highly accessible locations for you to stock up as soon as you're landed. Durek is right in Alexanderplatz train station, and they have plenty of blends. They even had Dunhill last May. (As a matter of fact, all three tobacco shops I visited in Berlin had an ample selection of Dunhill blends.)
My idea was to purchase as much tobacco there that I couldn't get here. I came back with a tin of Vauen Auenland Midnight Blend that is still unavailable this side of the pond.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Netherlands also has 250g duty free limit for entry from outside of the EU. So you may want to take at lest 1 tin to keep you going before you find a tobacconist in Germany :P
Limit between EU countries is 1KG :P

Status
Not open for further replies.