PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Greetings All, Brothers of the Briar and sometimes Corn Cob!
Have you ever taken a tobacco blend and separated the components; then proceeded to pack your pipe in layers?
I tried this with H&H White Knight because the tobaccos are chunky and can be separated quite easily due to the distinct colors of the blend. I imagine something like C&D's Pirate Kake may be a pointless endeavor, but are there blends that any of you do this with?
I like to have the Orientals and Virginias on top for the initial light. The tobaccos burn and meld with the Latakia, the oils of the Virginia and Orientals accenting the Latakia. Quite nice actually. :worship:

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
That seems very time consuming, but an interesting idea for sure. How long did it take to separate a bowls worth of WK?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
No and I don't separate out the beans, pasta and veggies from my minestrone either. I smoke a pipe after work, not in order to work.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
5 minutes at most. I'm with Michael, I buy blends because they are blends. But WK is so chunky it was worth a try to experiment. The blast of Virginia and orientals on the top, meld with Latakia, then in turn meld with another layer of Virginias and orientals. Finally marrying with the bottom layer of Latakia. Almost like a flake.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I picked the cloying Cavendish out of a tin of Mac Baren Modern Virginia loose cut :crazy: I bought that tin in the blind, and I was damned if I was going to get burned (again) for $13 of unsmokeable leaf. It was easy to do because of the color contrasts, but it didn't change the taste profile enough to justify the time involved.

You sure are some weird dude... and I like that! :puffy:

What you should have done is put each pile in its own pipe and then smoked each one separately, blowing the smoke into a big weather balloon. Then once you have all of the smoke mixed together, smoke it again, by sucking on the balloon. Cooler than a calabash. :puffy:

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I tried it with LBF by taking out the centers and layering it with the outsides of the coins. It was interesting

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If the blender wanted you too separate the components, he would write it on the tin. Smoke it as the blender intended, that is the law, and the pipe Gods are watching.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
LOL Yea, definitely not the way the blender intended. Just wondering if any others had tried this. The Latakia in White Knight Isn't very flavorful by itself, the orientals are complex. Maybe Russ Oulette could do a White Knight sans the Lat. Would be a very herbal blend, then again maybe not. 'Twas fun seeing the remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.