PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouffard

Lurker
Dec 29, 2016
Hi,
I have been browsing pipe websites compulsively for a few weeks and I still can't find a pipe matchIng the 3 following criteria
Being a sitter

Having a 9mm filter

Having an army mount
I believe the brands most susceptible to have such products are Peterson or Stanwell but I couldn't find a pipe matchIng these criteria
I would like to ask if there's a specific reason why this type of pipe isn't available on the market today or if I just didn't search in the right places
Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I browse online retail, pipe shops and pipe shows. I think you will be able to find this item. However, when you line up specific traits, your shopping takes longer. You find selections of 9 mm pipes and army mounts, but often separately. Sitters are kind of a special category, but I see them regularly in various formats. I think you have to remain flexible on other characteristics like bent or straight, or finish or stem material, since it will require work to find the three specs you mention in one pipe. Just keep at it. Wade through the major brands at the major sites, use the search features, and look among estate as well as new pipes. It could take six months or a year. If you keep moving, it might be weeks or days. Good luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
crash', I wonder about army mounts and filters too. Although some army mounts may be faux mounts, but you're right, it's not a typical pairing I don't think.

bouffard

Lurker
Dec 29, 2016
Peterson 304 doesn't have a filter unfortunately

About army mounts and filters there are some models available from Rattray.

My quest is still on, I guess it's part of the game.
So far the tsuge tankard would fit all my 3 criteria but I'm really not too keen of the design

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Contact mike Billington at Blakemar Briars. He makes some 9mm pipes and would probably make the pipe you want for you. Prices are extremely reasonable.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have an old Savinelli bent blast, military mount, that could take a filter, though I don't use filters. I got it as an estate.

Being a filter and army mount doesn't leave much wiggle room, but Savinelli made a few dry-system 9mm filter pipes back in the early 70's. They were intended for the 9mm balsa inserts, but they work just perfect with the Stanwell charcoal filters also.

I have this one...

a23d278f47e21b4300d10a5a654b5380.jpg

and, this one...

1006356403_2_644x461_savinelli-dry-system-smoking-pipe-restored-like-new-add-some-photos_rev008.jpg

You can find these on ebay mostly in the European market. I hope this helps.

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
Most Peterson's System pipe have a 9mm version for the European market, including the 304(Google delivered a few of them if you look for Peterson 304 9mm).

In general if you are looking for a 9mm pipe, you'll have more luck browsing on my side of the pond :)

Status
Not open for further replies.