PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
After smoking quite a few pounds of HB I started ordering for the cellar.(all bulk). I have just opened a jar from Nov 2016

( I ran out) :lol:. The taste was great but it lacked something....I put it down to me-pipe-packing etc.
After about half a dozen bowls I opened another jar (same date) to check and it tastes the same.....it's not bad...in fact I quite like it...but it hasn't quite got that overall taste of HB. It looks the same.....it tastes very similar....goes a bit flat about half way through, the Burley is more nutty and predominant, the perique is not really noticeable and the VA is well in the background.
It was bought from Smokingpipes (Excellent in my experience....I use no other from the States) in Nov 16 a Sealed 1lb Bag.

I think I will end up pressing a bit of Perique into some of it, as although its quite a nice smoke it's a bit bland. I have read reviews of HB where people have stated it was O.K. but nothing special and a bit ordinary........now I cracked another jar from Feb17 and its back to "service resumed" (very special for me).....anyone any knowledge-experience-comments
thanks in advance-enjoying the forum....a lot!

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
I've had different batches of C&D of Haunted Bookshop that I like more than others(I like the chunkier cut). I just adjust my packing technique or just choose a different pipe from my rotation to suit the tobacco. If i want a simple ordinary smoke, it's usually Haunted Bookshop or Morley's Best.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I noticed similar changes. I used to smoke it (from bulk) several times a day, every day; but after a prolonged layoff I came back to it and it seemed to have gone flat in some way. I label my jars, but I never thought to compare their dates. I just assumed that it's better fresh than aged.
Since there is no reason to believe that the flavor had dissipated with age, or that the recipe had changed, I'm guessing that there was some variance in the source leaf.
In any event, I have about a pound put up in jars, so it'll be a while before I can work through it and replenish my stock. I may try adding some blending Perique -- but tweaking is rarely successful for me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have noticed some variation in blends as well. The Red Virginia is particularly important in some blends.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Haunted Bookshop I got in bulk a few years ago from Smokingpipes and even then it was kind of bland to me, however, I noticed of all the bulk tobacco I have, the HB for some reason is the driest....it's like burnt grass dry. It's not a bad smoke, but it's definitely a one dimensional smoke for me.
Do they sell Haunted Bookshop in tins? or is it bulk only?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I smoke a lot of Haunted Bookshop and I've noticed differences in every single batch I've ordered, both in terms of cut and in terms of taste and pouch aroma. I don't know if it's the leaf or how the mixture settles in the warehouse or what.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Hmmm, reading reviews of it online seems to give the same impression. I've seen a few reviewers comment the same as me that it is almost bland, dry tobacco, cigarette like in flavor....I tend to agree with this sentiment. I enjoy it still because it's simple and requires no thinking.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I haven't smoked it that much, but I have noticed differences from the sample I was given to the 2 oz I bought at my local B&M. I also chalked it up to age, but now I wonder.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
Thanks for the replies..........
Interesting that others have found a similar problem.

As I live in the U.K. the shipping adds quite a cost to the product so I have to be careful with what I order, but it shows not to judge by one sample of tobacco as I probably wouldn't have reordered HB if this batch had been my first sample.
Oh and as an after thought, this batch appears to be a little drier than usual ( not by much).....I might try re-hydrating a small amount.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've noticed differences too. The bulk taste better to me, the tin was bland. To me the bulk has a bigger perique note. The big question for me is: Was this always the case with HB or is this a new thing since the merger?

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
same house; different blend--i have just received a pound of OJK that is totally different

than all my earlier purchases--i thought maybe the vendor sent the wrong tobacco--now i wonder--
for the record i have noted slight differences in Haunted Bookshop also

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
Got 2 1lb bags of OJK from SP 6 months ago and it tasted like my HB stash from last year.Ordered 8oz OJK from 4noggins last month, still the same. Tiny pseudo cube cuts and a mish mash of ribbons. My jar from 2015 is chunkier,with bigger cubes and as I remember it, was a lot stronger and spicier.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Thanks noquarter. In the HB that I've had jarred for a couple years, there are those tiny cubes you mention. They turn into hot spots in the bowl. Tiny, hot red embers amongst the rest of the nicely smoldering tobacco. I was hoping OJK was different.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I ordered 8oz. Of Haunted Bookshop recently and there were flakes of tobacco running throughout as well as a more defined shag/ribbon cut. That tells me Haunted Bookshp is pressed in flakes and spun out, or at lest one of the tobaccos used is. The last Bulk OJK was wet with more of a shag/ribbon cut. To get it to taste like OJK of old, I had to air dry it, bone dry. Being a little wet will help with the aging process. These blends are so close in looks and smell, I wonder if the two are being confused for one another at the vendor level. Especially when Haunted Bookshop has been blended with more of a perique hit.
Can someone from C&D/Smokingpipes.com chime in to clear up some of the confusion?
Another thing to consider is the leaf that C&D uses can change. They are blending these tobaccos with the same ratio, but getting different variations of flavor because of the leaf. Tobacco is like wine in that way. Crops change. Just a thought.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though it is not the same blend, just as a point of reference, I had a tin of GLP Westminster that I aged for two or three years, not intentionally but by chance. This blend is almost universally praised. I had several great smokes from it, but soon the Lat went very flat. It is high quality tobacco, so I propped it up with other condimental leaf. I didn't try to renew the Lat but relied on other blending tobacco like cigar leaf or another English, and so was able to use the tin. The only reason it surprised me is that generally blends are durable and predictable. On the other hand, my tastes do change. Sometimes, a blend is pretty wonderful for a year and two, and then it's just not what I want.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I prefer OJK to HB and I have a couple pounds of OJK coming to me. I hope OJK hasn't altered significantly from my previous experience... I love the blend with which I am familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.