PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflynt

Lurker
Jan 6, 2016
Hello, first post here. I have been a pipe smoker for a few years and thought the pipes in Hateful Eight were awesome. What kind of pipe is Samuel L Jackson smoking with that cool attachment?

https://youtu.be/6_UI1GzaWv0?t=2m6s

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
As I posted elsewhere, the stems appear to be too ornately curved for the time. They look to be made of plastic, which wasn't invented until 1907. Is there another stem material that could have been used?

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Yes brass, the windpipe from the last guy to piss you off!!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks, Cosmic. I think Tarantino is pretty good about ensuring that artifacts and props are in historical context. Your remark makes the pipes in Hateful Eight same more plausible. I googled tobacco pipes from 19th century and the pipes pictured all has one simple curve if any.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Funny, when I was watching it in theaters, I thought that was an anachronism. But The Tarantino universe kind of plays by its own rules. There's a chance, albeit a slim one, that there might have been a reason for it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I am going off of memory here, but I think I saw the pipe in question on the trailer for the movie a while back. The one I am thinking of is a Jaeger style pipe, also called by a few different names like Alpine, Tyrolean, etc. There are several very interesting examples of these in the Bisbee Mining Museum in Bisbee, AZ. Apparently they were brought over by German and Austrian miners who settled in the area looking for mining work in the 1800s.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I just took a quick peak at the link so I may be off but the pipe Samuel L. Jackson is smoking could possible a Bavarian type pipe that was popular among the military cavalry back during that time period.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Russells pipe did look like a Wellington, but I thought that vulcanite stems were not available in that era. The movie is set approx 10 years after the end of the Civil War, so say, 1875? But, after reading his history of vulcanite from the Seattle Pipe Club's site, it seems the product was patented in the US in 1851. When pipe stems started using it is not clear. So the stem material could have been authentic.
http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=16894

Status
Not open for further replies.