PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I came across these Mastro de Paja Classic pipes while perusing SPC during their 10% off sale a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't believe they were only $45.00! ($40.00 and change with the sale). I was going to buy some tobacco, but I really wanted to see what $45 would get you, so I ordered one like this:
002-025-1355.jpg

I don't particularly like the rustication that much, but the pipe is well put together, and smokes really nice. Has a coated bowl, but it's rather thin, and I easily sanded most of it off. The bowl is quite thick walled and the pipe barely gets warm. I'm sure there's a reason for them being so cheap, but it might be the best cheap pipe I've ever smoked. They have about 4 shapes available I think, but this one took my fancy. Great pipe for a briar starter pipe, and I like it better than my unfinished Savinelli. Sacrilege, right? :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I've looked at these repeatedly. My guess is that these were done for some targeted market and there was an overrun or a surplus otherwise. I agree the rustication is factory made, but I think it will exude some charm with wear. It's a good brand, and your experience confirms my sense that these are good pipes. This is another illustration that with some patience, you can turn up some excellent pipes at truly reasonable prices. They may not be everything you want for your rack, but they are undeniable great smokers at a fine price. All newbies building a basic rotation should take a look at these. And anyone who needs a car or travel pipe.

Oct 7, 2016
Part of the history of Mastro de Paja is here
According to a thread in an Italian smoker's forum, and through the miracle of Google translate, Mastro de Paja went through a bankruptcy auction about a year ago. Someone bought the name. Their factory was sold and pipes are no longer being made there.
It is entirely possible to produce a decent smoking, attractive pipe at that price point, particularly if, as I suspect is the case, a large outlet like SPC is able to avoid distributor markups.
Even prior to the current state of affairs, Mastro had its issues. However, their production when Giancarlo Guidi was associated with Mastro was on par with Castello IMO. Guidi started Ser Jacopo in 1983. Some periods after that saw absolutely gorgeous production, other periods saw poor finishing, fills, etc. It is possible to find Guidi era Mastros at very attractive prices. I have acquired a half dozen or so in the last several months, and I am sharing this information because I have enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.