PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I ordered several Dunhill tins hoping to find an acceptable non-aero to see if I can stop a chronic burning tongue. I got Standard Mixture, Standard Mixture Mellow, Aperitif, and Durbar. I tried the Mellow, but found it harsh. Given that, I wonder if the other tins will also be harsh or worse. Should I send these off to trade, or are any of the remaining tins more lighter than the Mellow? I've smoked EMP and had no trouble with it--why is a tobacco designated "mellow" be so hard to smoke?

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Do you smoke many English blends? If your palate's not accustomed to latakia then it might immediately strike you as unpleasant. I understand that EMP is lighter on the lat than the other Dunhill Englishes.
Before you trade them off, open all the tins and leave the tobacco in mason jars for a month or two, then try again. I don't think I've ever smoked a tobacco that didn't benefit from some breathing-time.

It's not necessarily "lighter" tobaccos that bite less. Sometimes a bright tobacco can have the most bite, while a richer robust doesn't. But there is no hard fast rule. Even Middleton Cherry had its fans, so it must have been smoked by at least someone person who didn't get bit by it. My meaning here, is that maybe it's a smoking style/body chemistry/pipe selection/ tobacco type of equation. If a brighter tobacco is biting you, try it in a wider bowl. I find that with some bitey bright Virginias, I can tame the down by smoking them in my largest pipes.

Of course, I don't think anyone can solve the equation except you, but it's worth a shot. Try other pipes, maybe a :::gulp::: corncob. Switch up your technique, packing and your cadence. Then if nothing works, pop another tim.
But assuming that the mellow or lighter blends will bite less than a big flavor bomb, won't work. I find that the Dark Flakes actually have way less bite.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Cosmic's right - a straight bright VA would be considered 'mild' or 'light' yet I find the tartness of the brights to border on being harsh. Often, tobaccos that would be considered 'strong', like perique, can actually round out some of the rough edges of their accompanying Virginias or burleys (for example). The same goes for a blend like McClelland's British Woods which, despite having a fairly liberal dose of latakia, is smooth to the point of creaminess.
I find Dunhill My Mixture 965 to be harsher than Nightcap, despite the latter being an overall stronger blend. I'd hazard to guess that this is due to the presence of brown cavendish in 965, which might provoke it into burning hotter without due care. But that's just speculation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sparrowhawk, I had to smile at your post, amused that Mellow is also the one Dunhill blend I've tried that struck me

as harsh, and I'm a guy who likes Nightcap, 965, and various full-strength burley blends as well. Mellow didn't have

any nic kick for me, just that edge and tongue bite every puff. It was a while ago, so I don't remember. I think I

finally mixed it with other tobacco and used it up, but it wasn't a charming blend.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Some of the things mentioned here are a bit onerous: waiting for the tobacco to dry, use a different pipe, etc. This is good to know, but it begs what really is the question: not knowing the difference between a burley and a Virginia, what would be a good non-aero to try, what brand? No flakes or coins please--I dislike going through the routine of preparing flakes. While some may accuse me of being lazy, I simply want a good, mellow non-aero to put into any pipe. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to stick with Trout Stream.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some non-aros, non-flake blends I enjoy include 965, Nat Sherman 536 available in tins, Altadis Fox and Hound,

C&D Epiphany, and for burley forward, C&D Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, Pegasus, Lanes Burley Without Bite, and Carter Hall.

You may not find any of these to your taste. Sometimes you have to try around to get the right balance of blend

that you enjoy, with the Lat, Per, Virginia, Burley, and maybe Cavendish, Oriental, Turkish, etc., tuned just right.

Some people are more wide, or narrow in their tastes than others. If you like burley, now is a great time for them,

with people doubling back on what used to be a fogey leaf and finding it can do all kinds of interesting things. But

some people really dislike burley -- can't taste it, or don't like it if they do. The one I'd try right off, an English with

Va/bur/Cav/Lat/Per, is Nat Sherman 536, which is really refined and mild but flavorful.

Onerous? One of the attractions for most of us is the ritual. But, we're all different. There's nothing wrong with sticking to your Trout Stream. The guy down the road from me smokes Prince Albert all day long every day. It works for him, and he has absolutely no interest in trying anything else. He's probably been smoking it for about 60+ years.
+1 mcitinner - Over the counters are good. Maybe try Carter Hall. It really gave me a nic fix and tobacco taste when I was quitting cigarettes. I still like it occasionally.
However, if you are interested in learning more about Virginias, burleys, and the rest, try reading some blogs, or just read through some reviews on here. But, really trying them is the best way to figure it out for yourself.

It's not rocket science, but there is a bit of trying, practice, and research that has to be done. I have no way to know what your taste buds are going to like. Heck, no one tobacco will everyone like. No one tobacco will everyone hate. I find red Virginias to be the most bite free tobaccos, but there are many that get scorched by it. Some scorched me in the beginning, and now my chemistry has adjusted to it, so that I find no bite. I guess that what I am saying is that taste is very personal and individual. There are no universals in taste, very subjective.
P&C offers a few sample packages. You might be interested in trying some of those. I think that there is a box of samples that members are passing back and forth. I don't know any of the details, but it might be a great way to find a few blends that you would enjoy. Check out the "Box Pass" thread.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Gents, thank you for all the thought and input. i'm aware this took up your time, and I truly and genuinely appreciate it. Cosmic, as it turns out, I have a goodly supply of Carter Hall, smoked it when I first started with the pipe. I believe I still had a tongue problem then, but I was also using aeros at the same time. Before that, I was smoking Captain Black Gold, completely unaware that it will viciously bite the tongue: I hadn't joined the forum yet. I was unaware that Carter Hall was considered a non-aero, so maybe using the remainder of the supply I had kept in an airtight container can answer my questions. I also tried Peterson's University flakes and found that to be satisfactory. I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can refer to it as I continue learning about the various tobaccos to be tried. So I really want to thank all of you for your personal insights in this often bewildering subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.