npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
article-2277847-000097B200000CB2-312_634x524.jpg

Yikes!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Nice pipe though! A cherrywood-shaped Charatan perhaps?
Of little interest to anyone else here, Harold Wilson was the first sixth-former at my old (state) grammar school - Wirral Grammar School for Boys - an "Old Wirralian". He went on to Oxbridge, I didn't. thus all we share was the old school and the pipe! :lol:

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I met the guy once - back in 1976 I think it was. Rumour has it that he actually preferred cigars but used the pipe as a prop and as a way of giving himself thinking time. A very cunning chap was Harold!
Mike

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I had posted that clip somewhere else ages ago. Wilson was an odd duck and his last years in office were over shadowed by rumors of plots by the Army/MI5 to kick him out of office and install some form of government of National Unity led by Mountbatten. I once saw one of Stanley Baldwins pipes at The House of Pipes museum in Bramber in Sussex. I own one of Tony Benn's pipes along with a letter from him from the early 1980s that I got when I wrote to him at the Houses of Parliament as a student asking for one of old pipes. I doubt its worth much but its an interesting historical curiosity!

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I met Tony Benn once too, long before he passed away! I wasn't cheeky enough to ask for a pipe though. He was a St Bruno man. His son, Hilary, is a member of parliament too, albeit more centrist than his dad ever was.
Mike

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
flakyjakey: hot air on PM, yes! But being able to writer all manner of observations at will that will be read by others is a very large temptation to this member's humility, or really lack thereof.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I said:
Liked seeing the pipes but thought Mr. Wilson too full of the hot air of himself.
flakyjakey said:
Sounds like many of us here, actually.
I said:
flakyjakey: hot air on PM, yes! But being able to write all manner of observations at will that will be read by others is a very large temptation to this member's humility, or really lack thereof.
condorlover1 said:
Who are you referring to chum?
I said: myself
I think it more than apparent that although being opinionated by way of proving who has got the biggest swinging d*ck is common to anyone posting to a forum, courtesy of the only apparent liberty of posting one's wisdom to an internet site that has a public, this is a common failing. But if a finger is pointed it is certainly pointed at me ("this member's humility, or lack thereof").
I think the flow is more than apparent. Sorry to disappoint, but that's all I have to say about this.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
How 'bout them!
Humor in writing is very difficult to detect, as it lacks affect. Emojis are the easiest way to describe tone, but I never use them to label something I say as humor because I am rarely humorous.

Status
Not open for further replies.