PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wishing all a happy St. Patrick's Day. Enjoy your wonderful Peterson blends and pipes or Dublins of any maker today. Also enjoy this wonderful Irish tune that gives a nod to the briar with the lyric:
And as I went home on Wednesday night as drunk as drunk could be

I saw a pipe up on the chair where my old pipe should be

Well, I called me wife and I said to her: Will you kindly tell to me

Who owns that pipe up on the chair where my old pipe should be
Ah, you're drunk,

you're drunk you silly old fool,

still you can not see

That's a lovely tin whistle that me mother sent to me

Well, it's many a day I've travelled a hundred miles or more

But tobacco in a tin whistle sure I never saw before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Hb5nzwE4I

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Happy St. Pat's! As most likely know, it's a much rowdier and bigger holiday in the U.S. than it is in Ireland, where it is more quietly observed. I always dig around for something green to wear, or greenish, since I don't seem to have anything in the bright or emerald tone.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
dlixx2.jpg
:puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Top o' the marnin to ya! I never, ever, heard that phrase used in Ireland. The great Saint's day is indeed celebrated in a rowdy manner in Ireland. Parades all over the island. Lots of noisy reveling and crowded pubs are the order of the day. It is now a day given to overindulging in all sorts of ways. Every city and town seems to have a noisy parade or gathering of some sort.
The Saint is more reverently celebrated on "Reek Sunday.". The pilgrimage up Crogh Patrick, the Holy Mountain, being one of the largest celebrations. It is held in late July on "Reek Sunday.". The Saint must have had a great love for water as there seems to be "well" where he drank every other other mile, particular in Connacht and Ulster provinces.
That said: A happy and blessed Saint Patrick's Day to all!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe the Irish I'm hearing from are giving me a bit of the blarney. By this account, it's like Flag Day in the U.S., respected but quiet. Thanks for the alternative report, warren. My other sources may just prefer to celebrate quietly.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well here's me and the missus, sitten on the deck and havin a Guinness while smoking some Peterson's 2015 St. Patricks Day Blend in our old Peterson's pipes.

We decided to dress somewhat appropriately with me in my Kennedy family crest t-shirt (from my mothers side) and Sylvia with her green whatever fleece bottoms, and a green t-shirt. At this point we also realized that we should have put the corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage in the slow cooker a little earlier, as we're hungry NOW, but it'll be another half hour at least till it's done!

Anyway... hope every one, Irish or not has a good day with a good smoke! :puffy:

img_0246-600x378.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hunter: that's Idgee, a slightly modified male dog, that is supposed to be a Chihuahua. I don't doubt that he is, even if he's a little large for one! We'll tip one up in Petey's memory today, and Idgee can have another Milk Bone! :D

Jan 8, 2013
:D Happy St. Patty's Day all! I'm about to have a bowl of Peterson's Saint Patrick's Day blend in this years Saint Patty's Day pipe. Been looking forward to this :)

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
My favorite barmaid has given me fair warning; I'm not sure exactly what to read into this so I'm with you guys, "Happy St. Patrick's Day!

OLKMltS.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
mso: Take a look at the Independent.ie front page regarding the brawl. The Irish Times has a couple of stories. There's always big doings in Galway City, there's a university there which accounts for some of rowdiness. Saint Patrick's Day is a "bank holiday" so, no school and party time. I've not done Dublin on that day but, I'm betting it rivals Chicago or New York.
I can only personally speak to the Saint Patrick's Day I spent in Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo, 5 years ago. It's a small town in the west of Ireland. Neat parade with school kids and bands. The pubs were doing great business and the craic was doing 90. Craic is Irish for fun, good conversation and enjoyment. The Saint's day is trivialized these days, much like Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.