PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Snow & sleet, all on a Mardi Gras Day! Saturday it got up to 77 and I had to run the AC, today back to the heater. :x
How 'bout a little Professor Longhair to start the day 8)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=professor+longhair+youtube&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=FEA8B1FA51D8E19974E6FEA8B1FA51D8E19974E6
Ernie K Doe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht-IVjsOTcE
No Mardi Gras would be complete without Fats Domino.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fats+domino+walking+to+new+orleans&qs=VA&form=QBVR&pq=fats&sc=8-4&sp=7&sk=VA6#view=detail&mid=F7AAF5385AF7159632F2F7AAF5385AF7159632F2

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have been several times but I can only remember naked chesticals and buying more beeds .Should try it sober some day .

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Alright , Alright,Alright, it's Sleeting, Horses are ready, Chickens are cold, Baudoin is hot and the Roux is cooking. Happy Mardi Gras. Lache Pa La Potat.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Here ya go Old Cajun, some Mardi Gras Balfa Brothers. Amazing how different the Mardi Gras traditions when one crosses the Atchafayala Swamp from New Orleans to Cajunland. My dog, Booty Raider (Raider's picture on left is ready to chase some chickens, got his costume on :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHbaqtGUj5c

Jan 8, 2013
I don't honestly know much about Mardi Gras or it's traditions, but for those of you celebrating today, I hope you have a great time and all goes well.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday.
These days, it's come to be more of an excuse to party ... we like the living large aspect of Fat Tuesday, but there'll be scant attention paid to fasting beginning on Ash Wednesday ...

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Ash Wednesday does mean the advent of Lent. All of which is observed in S La. by eating seafood on Fridays. Typical Friday's diet would be; Oyster po-boy for lunch, broiled Trout topped with Crab meat for dinner. Or, boiled Crawfish for lunch and Shrimp Etouffee for dinner :wink: Of course, all is served with a Crab & Shrimp Gumbo or Oyster Bisque as an appetizer.

It has evolved into way more than that, societies, krewes, orders, all established in partial secret to further the masked balls and parades steeped in ancient folklore and ideals. In Mobile and Montgomery, the celebration is through Balls, some formal, some not. The Balls all have their rituals to remember things that are now lost to many except on the inside. In New Orleans, there is a whole other drama going on with parades and other histories. Basically, it's ancient Egyptian ideals, mixed with Greek orders, Catholic nomenclature, Native American history, and slave mysticism all tied up with Southern and French accents.

...and damn good music!

Jan 8, 2013
Damn, now I am really intrigued. All the different symbolism sounds fascinating. Looks like I have a homework assignent tonight.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I'm not sure Louisiana seafood on Fridays during lent is proper fasting, but it's our traditions nonetheless. Did Mardi Gras in Mobile when I was in college there. What's up with the moon pies for throws.....yuck.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Cosmic, is today a holiday in Mobile? We opt for Mardi Gras as a holiday over MLK Day.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My sister Teresa is a Super Duper Mardi Gras Fan....! She is the owner/operator of Elm Street Bakery

and Coffee Bar in El Dorado, Arkansas... on the town square. Every February she out-does herself

with something new. This year its King Cakes!
From the local paper yesterday

and from "Southern Living Magazine" a couple years ago

(You look Great Sis...!)

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Happy Mardi Gras! Coming straight to you from The Big Easy! Born and raised here, it's a great tradition. Kids are off of school for the week and businesses closed all day today. Life wouldn't be the same without Mardi Gras every year! Have a good day all, time to get back to the party!

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Lifted this off of today's nola.com
"
“If New Orleans is not fully in the mainstream of culture, neither is it fully in the mainstream of time. Lacking a well-defined present, it lives somewhere between its past and its future, as if uncertain whether to advance or to retreat. Perhaps it is its perpetual ambivalence that is its secret charm. Somewhere between Preservation Hall and the Superdome, between voodoo and cybernetics, New Orleans listens eagerly to the seductive promises of the future but keeps at least one foot firmly planted in its history, and in the end, conforms, like an artist, not to the world but to its own inner being--ever mindful of its personal style.”

― Tom Robbins
Only the hardcore on a cold & rainy Mardi Gras.

Status
Not open for further replies.