Hans Christian Anderson Churchwarden Opinions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I am considering getting one or more HCA churchwardens, but was wondering how well they smoke. Also, the vendor doesn't indicate if the band is silver or nickel? (Given the price, I would think silver.) So all you HCA fans chime in, I'm curious about these pipes.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Got one 2 weeks ago with the P&C sale on Stanwells. I have smoked it 4 times and it was wonderful. I havent used the churchwarden stem yet (they do come with 2 stems). The band on mine is not silver. Great pipes I highly recommend them from my limited time with mine.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I was unaware they came with two tips. That's a real bonus and explains the higher price, although I would have preferred the silver band. Still, out of all the churchwardens I've seen, these are the most handsome. Thanks for the info!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
The one I picked up is a smooth calabash, 127.00. Did'nt think that was a bad price for such a great pipe

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Count me in the sablebrush52 and drwatson camps. I've handled many of them over the years and am always highly impressed with their looks and the two stems is a neat bonus. My own is a great smoker and bears the nickel band rather than silver. I just cannot recall whether I've had any come through here with Silver bands.
Pipestud

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Can you describe what a calabash is? The bowl looks rather like a typical bowl you would have on a churchwarden. (I have a 104 Savinelli churchwarden which I used to break into churchwardens to see if I would like them. Obviously I did.)

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Well I wish I could post a pick for you, but I have never had any luck with that. But if you go to the website its the HCA MI II.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The Stanwell I'm thinking about is the I MI Smooth Brown Chuchwarden, then a sandblasted version of the same pipe. For rotation purposes, you understand. Sadly, I have to wait at least a month before I drop any coin on this one because I already owe a vendor for a layaway due in September. Hope they keep these pipes in stock.
Later: drwatson, I looked at the pipe you mentioned, but it didn't have a churchwarden stem on it, but the bowl on the curved bend stem looked great. Now I'm a little confused about which one to get!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I have a cutty HCA purchased used from a forum member. Smokes fantastically and is pretty much the perfect fold and stuff flake pipe.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Right! Picture does'nt show the churchwarden stem, just the short. Big plus for me is the stems are all acylic which I like. Also they dont come in a box, but more of a Stanwell tube.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I don't suppose you could post this pipe of yours with the churchwarden stem? Because the bowl looks wonderful.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Here are pics of mine. I love it with both stems. I smoke English Flakes exclusively with it. It smokes cool and is easy to clean. It is the sandblasted IV with no filter. It was an estate from Smokingpipes.com.
004-001-6022.jpg

004-001-6022_1.jpg

Reactions: Lyle b

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's the one that caught my eye. I won't be able to afford it for about a month, but what are your thoughts on this particular Stanwell? I especially like the design of the band, and the color of stain.

pm-pswhca1-n-1a-spng.jpeg

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I bought one of these about 5 years ago and it is one of my favorite briars. I prefer using the shorter stem but the longer one delivers a great smoke, as well. Definitely well worth the money!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, it looks like I'll have to rob the piggy bank, then. I'm not sure how I'll explain the extra expenditure, but I'll figure out something. And there's a sandblasted version of the same pipe that looks quite fetching that I will have to think about too.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I asked the vendor who had my Christmas billiard on layaway if they could hold it for just another month, and (I suppose) because I'm a regular customer, they generously agreed. I was therefore able to order the Stanwell above and am expecting it in the mail soon. So I'm assured of getting both pipes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.