Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Is there any accepted version of what hand made, hand carved and hand finished etc actually mean?

I assume hand finished is machine made then finished by hand, but the others?

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
You're right about hand finished. Hand carved usually means made by hand rather than machine. Unfortunately, there's no clear-cut definition of what constitutes hand made, so it's up to the carver or manufacturer to decide.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I would agree with kcvet67 that the definition varies from manufacturer to manufacturer with most wood products.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
meph, I don't think the definitions are strict at all. I think we have to learn the carver/manufacturer

and their history and habits and by studying the output and traits of the products. There are different

approaches between Nording, Luciano, Johs, etc. Most pipes that are handmade by a single craftsperson

are more expensive, but even that isn't categorical. Learn the line so you are happy with what you get

and not disappointed.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
OK,thanks for your help.

My thoughts were started by a "hand carved" Soborg I got from eBay and wondered if it was anything like raising chickens etc, where the terms like organic and barn fresh have specific meanings.

My suspicions were with your guys interpretation, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.