PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Well, this is how my winters seem to start. Latakia mixtures find their way to the top of the cellar box. I opened H&H White Knight about three months ago, after finishing a tin of Hana's Legend. I like these Medium Latakia blends during the Spring and Summer evenings now and again, but prefer Latakia when it gets cold. Having finished Legend, I figured White Knight needed to show me what the hell he had up his horses skirt.
The tobacco comes dry and ready to smoke. The tobacco has colors ranging from black to orange. Packs easy. The first 4 to 6 bowls were nice. Similar to Hana's Legend, same style of tobacco reminiscent to those old Balkan Blends that we hear about, but I've never smoked. At times it was bitey and it didn't really move me, therefore I let it sit in the jar for a few months to see if it improved or became a dread to smoke.
With the weather getting down in the twenties at night, I decided last night to wake up and enjoy a bowl of White Knight. I brewed a cup of English Breakfast Tea(100%Keenum) and lit up a a bowl. Charing Light gives a blast of Latakia, true light brings the orientals to the for front a bit. Okay nothing new, it's behaving as I remembered. A few minutes into the bowl, A nice sweet oriental butter salty caramel over takes the palate. With a sip of tea the saltiness dampens slightly, giving the blend a creamy layer on the tongue. White Knight has a certain flavor on the tongue and in the nose. Never really changing. Very balanced. The Latakia and Virginia's really do a great job supporting and enhancing the orientals.
In my opinion, it performs better the longer it stays divorced from the tin. The addition of tea to a White Knight diet, well that's for others to decide for themselves. I will say, between Legend and White Knight, White Knight is a far better mixture. Legend appears to be mixed prior to being toasted in an oven, White Knight doesn't have this quality. White Knight is a great companion for those brisky lonely mornings.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's a solid blend! A put half of my tin into a mason jar and the other half I'm going to experiment with. I want to try soaking it in some piney gin.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
While I love those Latakia loaded English blends they are slightly too bitey for my taste sometimes. WhiteKnight is not different to many other blends of this kind. Being a Latakia nut I prefer more "Balkany" blends with even more Latakia and a subtleness that is not spoiled by Perique or large VA percentages. HU Tobaccos Tuarekh and Pfeifen Hubers English Balkan are my favourites currently.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
WK is the closest thing I have found to the legendary Balkan Sobranie Original of the early 1970s - certainly closer to that blend than the current incarnation. I smoke a fair amount of it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
While I love those Latakia loaded English blends they are slightly too bitey for my taste sometimes
Hmm that's funny I find Latakia based blends to be the least bitey of them all.
White Knight is really good.
Have you tried Blackhouse or Magnum Opus? Both are quite good.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Thank you for the review! I purchased White Knight, Magnum Opus, and Black House in one shipment to add some balkans to my collection. First impressions favoured the black house as I found both White Knight and Magnum Opus to have a slight soapy/perfumey quality that didn't appeal to me. Far from a well-formed opinion at this point but I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it more with time!

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Hmm that's funny I find Latakia based blends to be the least bitey of them all.
White Knight is really good.
Have you tried Blackhouse or Magnum Opus? Both are quite good.
I am with you in that. I guess its the VA or some Perique in the blend. I have used Latakia to "soften" Mac Barens Scottish Mixture with good results.

Black House is quite similar and both would need a slightly more "Balkan-like" taste for me.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The only other H&H blend I've tried is Larry's Blend. I loved Larry's Blend, but C&D Star of the East Beat it out. I picked up a tin of Legend, White Knight, and Balkan Blue chasing the Balkan Sobranie Clone Wars. I need to pick up Black House. White Knight is definitely on the rebuy list, nice to hear that Russ Ouelette got close to the fabled Balkan Sobraine.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Black House is fantastic, I smoke quite a lot of it, but I just cannot find any flavor in White Knight, I have smoked over half a tin of the stuff and it just doesn't work for me.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Perdurabo:
I love Nightcap and SOTE - they're the two blends I reach for most often. Black House and Magnum Opus are always on hand but, like Mr. Philobeddoe, White Knight left me with a meh. I will suggest Mr. Ouelette's Ten to Midnight: a swell smoke that used to be compared to Penzance quite a bit. Lord knows, it's not, but TTM is still pretty damned tasty.
Fnord

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Fnord and Phil, as well as others mention that WK doesn't have that fullness, which I agree. I like the Light to Medium English Balkans, but find them tasty at different times. The review above was out of the blue, whoa, where did these favors come from. I'm debating now whether Star of the East or White Knight. I think Black House was the winner of the Balkan Sobraine throw down, wasn't it? To complete the Clone Wars challenge, BH will be in the next order. Thanks for the suggestions.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
So I decided on a bowl of White Knight, without the tea. Drezz01's account of soapy/floral character was in full force, also the saltiness was in full swing in spots. That caramel flavor wasn't there at all. I think the tea, had a hand in the Carmel flavor. That's why this wasn't a review, but thoughts on how to better enjoy this blend. The orientals are great if you want that "in your face"floral sourness. I failed to mention or ask, have any of you gotten to the bottom of the bowl with one Light? This stuff does not like to stay lit at all.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Perdurabo:
What you wrote up top is called a review where I come from. (Pensees, musings, meandering thoughts matters not a whit.) I love good writing and you have a deft touch on the keyboard.
Thank you.
Fnord

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Thank you, fnord, for your kind words.
I guess it is a review. I wanted it to be a thread that evolved. I could have smoked the whole Tin in one week and gave a final thought. But way to often blends change on you and your taste, needing more meanderings as you say.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I was hoping to get back to this blend to provide a more recent account but unfortunately, as is often the case, work right before the holidays has been nuts.
I think there's definitely a place for WK, as you said, a light Balkan can be just the thing you're wanting. BlackHouse is robust with a capital r (.... so, Robust). Not that it packs a wallop like some noted English blends, or that it's particularly overwhelming in flavour in complexity - but it is certainly rich with concentrated flavours that can be a little fatiguing by the end of a bowl.
I really want to take some time to explore WK, BH, Legends and Magnum Opus to get a better understanding of the particular take on the Balkan style that each take. I've yet to try the Magnum Opus and have only had a single bowl of Legends ... I really need to step up my game!
There's certainly more varieties out there, these four just happened to be mentioned most often in several Balkan threads here.

Status
Not open for further replies.