PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
When I originally cracked a new tin of this I wasn't a huge fan. I jarred it and now have come back to it a year later. It has mellowed and deepened in flavor at the same time. It is a beautiful tobacco tasting like caramel now. Not sweet in a bright virginia way but much deeper and subtle.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
This is my favorite VA. I've bought and tried just about everything that's out there. Veermaster is the absolute tops for me. Glad you like it!

Aug 14, 2012
I love it too, but it bites, and I smoke a lot. So I put it away to age and hope there will be a mellowing in a few more years.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I love it too, but it bites, and I smoke a lot. So I put it away to age and hope there will be a mellowing in a few more years.
Personally I'm unclear on the whole tongue biting issue: it all seems so subjective, based on such differing opinions. In my case, I tend to blame it on me rather than the tobacco, but I'm surprised such an experienced piper like foggy would experience tongue bite at all: especially with a non-aro!

Dec 24, 2012
I forgot about HV. I have never smoked it but have 80 tins set aside. All of my tins have been cellared for more than a year from the time I bought them (not sure when they were tinned). When do you guys think this stuff improves to the point that it is worth smoking? Should I give it another year and try some at the 2 year mark? Harris had some 10 year old HV and raved about it.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Well Peck, considering you have 80 tins. I think now might be a good time to crack one open. If you think it needs more age, well you have 79 left to fall back on.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Hamborger Veeermaster is great stuff. It does calm down after two years so have a go at it. Slow and steady is how I smoke it.
I also like the history behind it. It is a Low German sea shanty, with some Californian English thrown in.
Read about it here.
Here is the melody.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
It is one of the best virginias out there. It has never bitten me and I have smoked it a lot but like someone already said before, bite has more to do with personal chemistry than anything else.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
HV is good, but even at bulk pricing, it's not $92/lb. good.

Same thing with Tordenskjold Virginia Slices, which is even more expensive, approaching $100/lb. because it is only tinned.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I recently picked up a couple of tins to try this for the first time. I love SG's Full Virginia Flake and Dunhill Flake -- as well as the Rattray's Virginias -- so I figured I needed to know this one too.
I was underwhelmed. It struck me as the lightest VA -- by far -- of all the flakes I'd tried. I knew it was a good tobacco, with good leaf, but there just wasn't much flavor/substance to it. (And I wasn't looking for nicotine here; I don't like medium-to-high nic blends.)
Someone here mentioned that it changes dramatically with age, taking on the characteristics that the OP noted in this thread. I'll have to see.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently cracked a tin that was over a year old and it is definitely better than fresh. It is now a decent smoke but no where near as good as it will be after ten years. After ten years it turns black and has a ton of fig and raisin flavors, totally sublime smoke. I have one pound of bulk but after seeing how much shake was in it I only bought tins after that.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I have a tin from 2005 that I look forward cracking at the 10 year mark. I'll be sure to post pics when that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.