PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I took a gamble on this hallmarked Barling (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321476331879?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). It needs a new stem and some other work. Evidence of a burnout in the foot/heel area is something that will need addressed.
Judging by the hallmarks, it appears to be a 1941 piece. If that is the manufacture date, then I should have a pipe made from that storied Algerian briar.
So, is this worth saving? I just want it to be a serviceable pipe, not a show piece. The hallmark encouraged my purchase not for any collector value, but because it indicates the pipe's pre-Algerian War vintage. If it is worth saving, does anyone have an example that could help in having an appropriate stem made for the pipe? Perhaps sablebrush52 has a useful exemplar?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Samcoffeeman, Thank you for weighing in on this. I hope a plug is unnecessary, but I fear it may be required. From what you are saying, at least the stem should be easy enough.
By the way, I think I bought a pipe from you.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Buroak,
That's a 1941 hallmark, which given what was going on in the world at that time, gives this pipe a little extra significance. The Barling factories were bombed during the war. Shipments of Algerian briar ceased. Precious metals were in even shorter supply due to the war effort. Yet here is this humble little pipe with a 1941 hallmark, which reminds me that we carry on through all of life's challenges.
A replacement stem can be got. If you're looking for one with a proper Barling button and airway you could try Walker Pipe Repair as recreating the Barling design correctly requires skill. But if that level of restoration isn't important, a good molded stem can be got for a moderate cost. Pipe mud, or pipe cement might do the job without requiring a plug, depending on how bad the burnout is. Consider sending the bowl out for an eval.
This guy's a survivor, isn't he?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sablebrush52,
Thank you for telling me more about the pipe and offering suggestions for its rehabilitation. I am new to the antique pipe scene, so information and advice are always much appreciated.
Even if the pipe is not made from Barling's famous Algerian briar (as someone with a history degree, I am a little embarrassed that I did not think of the war halting the trade in Algerian briar), the story of the pipe begs that I give it a proper restoration. After everything it has survived, letting it slip into oblivion would be shameful. I will send it to Walker Pipe Repair for a correct replacement stem. Would they also be a good shop for the bowl evaluation?
All in all it seems that at the price I paid buying this pipe was not an entirely foolish gamble. At the very least my odds of winning on this gamble are better than the odds on winning the lottery.
Thanks again for picking up this thread. I quickly determined that you are something of a Barling Batman in this forum - send up the signal and help is on its way. On a related note, the Pipedia Barling entry to which you contributed helped me date my only other Barliing's Make, a pipe lacking shape number, "T.V.F." and "Made in England" stamps but having the "Barling design" stamp on the stem. Thanks for that, too.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Buroak,
Glad to be of service! You pipe is Algerian briar. Barling had huge stocks of it as they stored their wood for years before shaping it. They just couldn't get more from their operations in Algeria with hostilities going on and like a lot of other makers, found keeping production going to be quite a feat as the war continued.
Walker should be able to take care of any of your needs.
"Barling Design", 1950's onward! Glad you find the Pipedia article helpful.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think it would be well worth sending the pipe to Walker. From the pictures, and credit to the seller, it looks like an inside out burn, but the final proof will be on close inspection. You may get lucky, in the sense that it could be a "left in the ashtray" burn, but again, based on the pictures, with the cracks, and color of the burn mark, I think that is a lesser possibility. It does happen though. I have heard nothing but good things about Walker, so in that regard, I don't think you should be in any way hesitant to send them the pipe. Lovely grain on that pipe. When you have it restored, please post some pictures, I know I's love to see them.
Dave

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Dave,
I should have a better idea of the damage when I can get the pipe in my hands and a flashlight shined into the bowl, but I share your suspicion that the burn originates on the inside. I will definitely send the pipe to Walker for a new stem and general restoration. For one thing, they seem to be the go-to place for manufacturer-correct replacement stems.
I will post pictures, though we may both have to wait quite a while to see the finished product. The grain caught my eye, too. I hope the repairs it needs do not disrupt the grain too much. If I am lucky the deterioration can be halted with the application of pipe mud or a similar compound to the interior of the bowl. I would rather have a dark spot that never gets darker and cracks that never grow larger than a plug in the bowl.
We shall see...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I almost bit on this Comoys Extraordinaire last night @ $20. It too has a burn out spot, but that probably would have been worth a plug.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331268352506?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$_12.JPG

If your Barlings needs a pro do do the stem, you might as well let them plug the bowl as well. Keep us posted!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
BW, thanks for the well-wishing.
Ssjones, A plug on that pipe would have been quite unobtrusive, but who knows what other demons lay underneath all of that cake?
I spoke with Mike of Walker Pipe Repair. Of course, he had no concerns about a new stem. The burnout, on the other hand, is an altogether different matter. He said that he is averse to putting in plugs due the need for adhesive, adhesive that could generate byproducts when the pipe is smoked. I like that he treats plugs as a very last resort. I have seen them used and the owners seem happy with the result, but I, too, would prefer to get away without plugging the bowl.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have finally had a chance to examine the pipe. I think the seller's pictures made the damage look worse than it actually is. The cracks are less pronounced than the seller's photos suggested. They are small and hairline, not the opening cracks I was expecting. The darkening on the outside of the bowl looks severe in the photos and in the ambient light of my living room. Under the light of my Mag Lite LED pen light, however, most of the darkening appears to be an artifact of a birds eye cluster.
Still, there is evidence that a previous owner did their level best to burn out the foot/heel of the bowl. I think, though, that applying enough pipe mud to bring the base of the bowl's interior back in line with the draft hole will insulate the base sufficiently to prevent further damage and stabilize the pipe's condition.
Unfortunately, my examination did turn up some additional damage I had not anticipated. Specifically, there are two hairline cracks running vertically from the top of the rim on the front side of the bowl. One is about 1/4" long, and the other is about 1/8" long. Both cracks carry through from the interior to the exterior of the bowl. Can anyone tell me how bad such cracks are for the smokeability of the pipe?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pipe has an interesting enough history, I think it is worth commending into the hands of a professional

pipe repairman. Even with restoration, I think this is an occasional smoker, not part of your rotation. But

given the history of the pipe, I think it's worth doing.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
mso489,
Thanks for the encouragement. Assuming the pipe can be made smokeable, it will be a pipe to be enjoyed only occasionally.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've used Imperial Stove & Fireplace cement for that kind of damage and it works great, much better than pipe mud. It is sodium silicate based, which is what many makers use for their bowl coatings, available at my local Lowes for $6/tub. It also allows a cake to build quickly (which makes sense!). I'd give that a try before the plug solution.
063467845973.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, that was a very much enjoyed pipe! I've an old ODA sandblast for 20+ years with a through and through crack that was stabilized using injected epoxy. It's not the sort of thing that I would treat myself. Al's idea using stove and fireplace mortar sounds really interesting and I may just have a pipe myself that can use it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Imperial product is particularly good on vertical cracks, it stays there and can be sanded off, filling only the crack or bowl degradation. I think it was ejames who hipped me to this stuff.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones,
Thanks for that tip. In one of the threads about pipe mud an engineering student advocated using wood ash to make what he called "pipe cement" instead of tobacco ash "pipe mud". Interestingly, one of the chief advantages he touted was the high sodium silicate content of wood ash. I think we now have double independent confirmation that sodium silicate is great stuff for pipe repair. The imperial product should be the way to go, being precisely mixed by an actual manufacturer rather than being mixed by me using ash produced crudely in my insert stove.
The Barling is still going to Walker (the pipe needs professional care beyond a new stem), but a plug in the bowl can now be more easily ruled out.
In the meantime I am going to try the Imperial cement on a Custom-Bilt with a fissure in the tobacco chamber. The fissure runs horizontally around much of the lower third of the chamber. I imagine cement that is good on vertical cracks should work as well or better on a horizontal fissure.

Status
Not open for further replies.