PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I know that most of you (and the vast majority of pipe smokers) don't inhale pipe smoke, but for those of you that do, and for whoever else who wants to chime in, what do you think about "half-inhaling"?
I mean inhaling only until it hits the throat and not the lungs.
What do you think about that?

Go back 500 years, to when pipe smoking was very new some people, and maybe still old to the rest, but it was just a thing. Some guys stuffed a piece of wood or stone full of some tobacco, light it with a coal from the fire, and just did what they felt natural to do. Here, 500 years later, when it's just you and your pipe... you can do as you want, whatever feels natural.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd say I "snork" about 60% of the puffs. I wouldn't call it a half inhale. I'm not even sure how I do it since it has become something I do automatically now. It's like puff, then exhale through nose. It's something I did a bit with cigars and have started doing more with cigars.
As has been pointed out, quit over thinking everything. Smoke your pipe and enjoy it. Most of the things you've been asking about will begin to come naturally for you over time.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
That's kind of what I do... I don't do any kind of direct lung hit. That is harsh and feels unnatural. I posted a week or two ago about how Latakia was making me sick upon inhaling even a little bit of it. When some members enlightened me about latakia is processed and created, it made sense to me why it was making me feel ill.
The truth is that I do miss some things about smoking cigarettes. Pipe smoking allows me to enjoy even better tobacco.
I can't help but inhale it once in a while. If it wasn't so harsh, I'd probably inhale deeper and more often. Luckily for my health, I can't stomach it.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@lasttango You understand my feelings
I miss the way the cigarettes warmed/burned my throat.
Pipe puffing is pleasing but not enough for me. It's too "gentle".
Direct lung hits, on the other hand, are too harsh as you said.
So I've been smoking through this "middle way". Some puffs and some half-inhalings. I rarely do lung hits because they are too damaging and too overpowering.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@chasingembers retrohaling = exhaling through the nose?

I don't know this method very well.
Did you ever blow cigarette smoke out of your nose? If so, it's the same process. Draw smoke into your mouth without inhaling it. Hold it in your mouth until you exhale. On the exhale, press your tongue against the roof of your mouth to force the smoke into the back of your throat and blow it out of your nose.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I retrohale about 75% of the time. It’s the best way to get the full experience for me. If you’re new to this way of smoking, be careful and only retrohale some of the smoke at first. Some blends, especially with lots of perique, will burn your nostrils.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Big Secret Unveilled: If you smell the smoke, you’re inhaling. You’re never going to completely run away from it.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@chasingembers I only notice this when I see the smoke leaving.
I mean, I do this sometimes unconsciously. It became so normal to me, as a cigarette smoker, to blow smoke out of the nose, that I don't even know if I'm exhaling through the mouth or through the nose anymore.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I half-inhaled for most of my smoking life. As a result, I was addicted to nicotine and, eventually, I started to suffer respiratory problems.
I quit smoking, eventually got over the cravings and my lung function improved a lot. After about six months I started smoking my pipes again but was careful not to inhale. I also made (and continue to make) it a practice never to smoke two days in a row. Now, I'm enjoying pipe tobacco more than ever and have no problem going days or even weeks without smoking.
My strong advice to younger smokers is don't inhale. The long term consequences of inhaling tobacco smoke are negative and unavoidable. If you're going to smoke, be smart about it. Do it in moderation and in a way that minimizes the health problems.

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
As an ex cigarette smoker, I can relate to your struggle. However, I will say that over time, you're body will crave that "fix" less and you'll find that you are completely satisfied focussing on the flavors of different blends, rather than on how smoking makes your physical body feel or how the physical sensation of the smoke feels. It's a slow process, but one that is worth it. :)
-The Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.