PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I found this old H&H tin today and, though the seal is broken, it is full of tobacco! It's dry of course but I think I'm going to rehydrate some and see how it smokes. I didn't realize it had tobacco in it until I got home; I was just happy to find the old "green" tin with a lid.
Anyone happen to know about when this style of tin dates to? It's either a 12 or 14 ounce size, I can't remember at the moment.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
Reminds me of my favorite grandpaw. It was his favorite tobacco!

His shop had so many tins of various sizes all stuffed with

bits and pieces of hardware one could not have counted them all.

Those were "shining times" well spent with someone who helped shape

my life. I would love to find one like that. :clap: :puffpipe:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
It is indeed a 14 ounce can. And I rehydrated some last week and it smoked and tasted very nice. It was a little different than "fresh" H&H, smoother maybe, but very nice. I plan on rehydrating it all and moving it to a proper storage vessel to be consumed at my leisure. :puffy:

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Nice find! I have an old 1950's tin of 'Old Hickory' which I rehydrated and smoked some. It was very mellow. Almost so mellow it has no taste.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Greg, it's different because it has deer tongue in it. The new blend does not have any. I smoked a fair amount of H&H back in the day. Now I smoke C&D's Gentleman Caller because it reminds me of the "old" H&H.

Nice find.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Greg, it's different because it has deer tongue in it. The new blend does not have any. I smoked a fair amount of H&H back in the day. Now I smoke C&D's Gentleman Caller because it reminds me of the "old" H&H.

Nice find.

Thanks. And that's neat to know, about the deer tongue, as I had no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.