PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So my buddy got married in York, Pa this weekend. As a part of the Bachelor Party we got some beer and were going to go hang out at Hain's Pipe Shop. It has been in business for 120 years. I had grandiose ideas of scoring some old tins or maybe a cool pipe, but sadly that was not the case. We walked into the shop which looks like a 1960's living room. There was a young girl watching Law and Order rolling cigars and she looked at us like, "why are you here?" We decided to look around anyway in the chance that there was something cool. They did sell pipes so technically they could be called a pipe shop. 3 old cobs, 3 old baskets, and a few newer baskets. No tins of tobacco and about 10 jars that were so crusty I had a hard time even opening them. It was dark and dingy. It was in a great location and could totally rock with an update and some new ownership. They didn't have a walk-in humidor, but rather glass cases in the wall and those were poorly stocked. It was a bust. Don't waste your time, we didn't. We did smoke a lot of pipes this weekend, just not there and I will post another thread with pics later.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A lot of smoke shops and pipe shops are without redeeming features. In New York City, I walked into several

smoke shops in Queens or elsewhere, and they had little inventory and cheapie cheesy dusty stuff. I think they were

more convenience stores with a few tobacco products. I don't understand how these places sustain the business

and pay the rent. Maybe selling sodas and pampers. My local independent is near campus town and actually carries

an array of brand pipes, tinned and bulk tobaccos, cigars in a humidor, worthy basket pipes, pipe cleaners, softie bits,

pipe tools, etc. etc. And you can sit down and smoke. Our Tinder Box chain store, though you can't smoke there in

the mall, at least sustains an inventory that bears review. Our Smoker Friendly is mostly a cigarette outlet, but carries

some OTC pipe tobacco, though no pipes worth buying. But many pipe shops aren't really pipe shops, just bong

joints and sundry shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.