Had Some Boswells Northwood English And....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Absolutely positively undoubtedly hated every single solitary second of it. I have been smoking for 8 months now and I'm told that when my palate matures, I will start to like and appreciate the English blends. As some of you know here, I LOVE everything Boswells so I thought I'd give it a try. I hate the taste and really hate the smell. Let's face it... I'm an aero guy. Now where's that 1Q that I had laying around.....

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Yep, I remember the first time I tried and English blend. I thought a monkey had left a anal deposit in my mouth. I was in my twenties then. Now I love the stuff! Stick with your aros for now and put the Northwoods away. One of these days...

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I have a friend who is 82 and all he has ever smoked is aero's

I have been a pipe smoker for more than 50 years and 90% of the time all I smoke is lanes BCA. :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I would be in favor of saving that Northwood for about 6 mos to a year and trying it again. Myself, I like to lighten a heavy or untasty Balkan my mixing in some McClelland 5100, or a good aro that I might have laying around. I mixed some Molto Dulce with some Hells Kitchen, it really wasn't bad at all. My latest venture has been Mixing the 5100 50/50 with some Tinderbox Sherlock's Choice, which softens the spiciness of the latter and sweetens the smoke.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
90% of the time all I smoke is lanes BCA.
One of my favs. :) This is exactly what happened when I tried some Mature Virginia. I smoked 3 bowls and couldn't believe how much I hated it. So I sealed it up in a jar and will try it again. I have 4 English blends + the HH MV that I am going to try again in about 6 months. If I don't like them then, I may have to find someone to trade with.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
What the hell is the matter with you?
JK of course. Don't feel pressured to enjoy English blends. If you don't like them that's fine. There's nothing wrong with smoking only aeromatics. Smoke what you enjoy.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
That's why the only English blends I smoke are Penzance (very complex) and Frog Morton (very sweet). I mostly smoke straight VA's.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
[/quote]What the hell is the matter with you?
That sir is THE question. :) After yet another unsuccessful attempt to like the stuff, I have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't be a pipe smoker at all if I only had English blends to smoke. After this attempt, I threw some 1Q in there and was back in paradise...

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
You guys are right. It may take years to acquire a taste for Latakia or it may never happen. As long as you are enjoying your aros, who cares?

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Try some Virginias.
I have. I have a pound of HH Mature Virginia and super duper hated it. I am going to hang on to my English and Virginias for about a year. Then if I dont like them then, you all may be the benefactors.. :)

Dec 24, 2012
Pipe smoking is indeed a mysterious endeavour. What you are describing is precisely the same reaction I had when I tried 1Q, lol

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I love Latakia, but I hate smoked beers. In craft beer smoked beers are thought of as the same acquired high level taste. I cringe at walking into a homebrew club taste test, and it being full of liquid ashtrays. To each his own I guess.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
VA's are my favorite smokes ever, however I also hate HH Mature VA. Don't just smoke one blend and say the whole category is bad :P

Status
Not open for further replies.