PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm one of those odd ducks who doesn't like beer.To me it tastes bitter.It's a taste that I just don't like.My wife says that i'm a sweet freak.I've never tried Guinness though.So today in honor of the Irish i'm going to try one.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I don't like beer either, but I love Guinness. It's the only brew that I enjoy enough to drink. It's heavy, but wonderful. Get it on tap if you can.

okrent

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2013
I will buy a six pack of Guinness extra stout for a black and tan every once and while. But I stopped for a pint of the back stuff when I was in Seattle last november at an Irish pub, by the name of Kells I think, and what came out of that tap had nothing in common with what I get at the local grocery store. Like ghost said, it was a meal in itself. It didn't tast the same and it had a good inch of thick soft white head that never went away either. So whether you like it or not, remember there is Guinness and there is Guinness. And if you ever find yourself in a pub that seems to be doing a lively trade in the stuff, don't be afraid to try it again.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if you want it the way it should taste.. pull a draft and let it sit an hour or so and come to room temp.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
On tap is best, if your buying it at a liquor store, buy the cans. Tha cans have a nitrogen charge in them that replicates the keg taste and freshness. The bottles taste like sh#t to me, the bottled beer is flat and tasteless, cans are the only way to go at home.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Guinness Draught and Guinness Extra Stout are not the same beer.
Guinness Draught uses the nitrogen widgets in the can/bottle whereas the Extra Stout has a markedly different mouthfeel from the higher carbonation level. I believe the alcohol content is also different and they are likely made in a different location by a different contract brewer.
Most people serve Guinness way too cold... (+1 dochudson)
Serving it ice cold will obliterate your senses and completely remove any desirable aromas.
Honestly, guys, I don't get how people think Guinness is heavy. At 4.2%, it is lighter than a Budweiser.
You probably mean "heavy flavour" but once again it is pretty tame in the scheme of things. Compared to your average lawnmower beer, yes, it is more complex - but because it is so light in body it is very drinkable and it's easy to down lots of it in one session if you are a fan.
Roth, American IPAs are definitely one of my favourites. Stouts can be quite nice, though. Guinness was my first gateway "craft" beer - the same is true for a lot of people.
Puffy, the foam is more bitter than the beer itself - keep that in mind! Power through a pint and tell us what you think... ;)

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
That's what I forgot!!! Guinness!! Oh well, I will have to pull through with Jameson :mrgreen:
Guinness: A beer milkshake :) (I love beer.. and Guinness 'specially)
Let us know how it goes.
Not like beer? Who ARE you people?!?!?
LOL!!!
Jason

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Beer is hugely diverse, especially in the USA. You would be surprised how far they have come along with variety since you first probably tried to drink the stuff. Wheat and fruit beers are some of the more stereotypical "introductory" beers but if you like the taste of a good whiskey there are other ales and lagers out there with a really nice malt character that you might appreciate.
Irish whiskey isn't really my thing - I haven't tried much but Bushmills Black Bush is what I'd go for in a pub with only a few Irish whiskey options.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Guinness: A beer milkshake
That reminds me of when I was little. If I had a bad cold or something as a kid, I was always given a half pint Guinness & milk (50/50 mix). It has to be done with full fat milk and just the thought of it takes me straight back to my childhood :)

okrent

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2013
Simenon, I didn't mean to imply that Guinness and Guinness Extra Stout are the same, just that I reach for Extra Stout when I'm in the mood for a black and tan. My go to brew, because you can find it pretty much anywhere, is Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, though SN has gone down a little over the years. Lagunitas IPA is great too but I can't seem to find it here in Florida. As far as whisky is concerned, I prefer bourbon.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
While I truly love beer - especially those from Germany and Belgium - I have no like for Guinness. And I must say that I was really disappointed, since up till the time I actually tasted it, I had very high expectations.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm not that big a beer guy either. I get bloated after more than one or two. Nowhere to put it.... I like to have one, followed by bourbon or some type of of liqueur. Sometimes port. Coincidentally to this thread, however, I happen to be drinking an IPA right now. "I don't always drink beer, but when I do I like hops galore."

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
You won't like it, if you hate beer, I guarentee it lol :) Guiness is kinda like a beer milkshake with how smooth it is lol, and I get the "meal in a can" comment lol... As a beer maker I consider guiness not very high quality, I feel it lacks flavor. Before I was a beer maker, it was my favorite beer in the world. Boy things have changed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.