PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
Looking back a few months ago when I bought my first ziploc of bulk tobacco from the local store I never thought I would end up enjoying myself so much trying new blends and appreciating the work that goes into a beautiful pipe. I suppose exploration is what keeps life interesting. I started off trying whatever the store owner suggested in a pipe handed down to me that I had cleaned up. While I did enjoy myself from the first light I also realized there was so much more to this than I had ever expected. Without this wonderful knowledge base and community you have all created here I feel the journey would be far more overwhelming and intimidating and for that I'd like to say thank you to everyone. The more I explore the more I become aware of what I want from my smoke and what to look for. So now my collection has slowly but steadily grown from the one pipe that never got a rest and dried out baggies to something slightly more respectable. I feel like my 'peasant' days are over, can't wait to get back to work in the summer and add to the shelf. Here are some pictures I thought I'd share for anyone interested.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Looks like you've got some tasty blends and some fine smokers.

Dry tobacco is not a bad thing. Tin does not confer value to the tobacco.

MOST of my tobacco is in plastic bags and very dry. Guess what? It's all good!

Moar cobs, bigger cobs.

Nice beginning down the road to tobacco perdition.

My first pipe, a cob, is still going strong after almost 3 yrs and I smoked the CARP out of it for the first month.

Now, I've got pipes and tobacco everywhere, it seems. Oh hell.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
I have no complaints about inexpensive bulk tobaccos, I'm quite easy to please. There hasn't been a blend yet where I smoked it and thought "that's garbage". It was mainly the fact that at first I wasn't smoking as often and after drying and getting moved around in a bag for so long much of the tobacco was broken into crumbs. I still enjoyed the smoke, I do like my tobacco on the dryer side, it's just nice to have a more permanent solution. Actually one of my firsts was McClelland Topper and it was so incredibly moist it was better off sitting unsealed forever.
The tins in the picture are what I try to save for when I want something different or special. Bought them because I saw them and knew they're usually out of stock elsewhere. Still not sure what to think of the Plum Cake. I'll surely be looking into more cobs, trying one was a nice surprise. I like the look of the MM Dagner specifically.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Might want to transfer your stuff to smaller jars as stock dwindles. It'll help keep the stuff fresher.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Very similar to my start, wait till you get a year down the road. Keep trying new baccys, and start stocking up mason jars to store the goods. Welcome to the forum!!

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Very nice. This hobby never gets old. It's a journey of new discoveries and evolving pleasures. Try the screw top mason jars as they are a better seal that the ball lid jars.

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
That's a very nice start. I should probably get some corn cobs as well. Right now I own nothing but briars.

Oct 7, 2016
Many years ago, I was told that one pipe is too many, and a thousand are not enough.
I have heard that there is such a thing as tobacco that is too dry.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@beehive
Nice stash.
You sure seem to like the Wild Atlantic though. It's definitely on my "must try" list.
I would love to know more about the pipe handed down to you.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks everyone, I will definitely be looking into some smaller jars especially if I ever find something I love enough to stash away. I'd like to try some from Dan Tobacco, Salty Dogs and Devils Holiday mostly. Honestly I didn't enjoy the first two smokes of the Wild Atlantic much but the more I have the more I love it.
dottiewarden the pipe is a Big Ben Populair that belonged to my father. I don't know very much about it just that he bought it in Poland before he came to Canada so it must be at least 30 years old. It had what I assume is a stinger in the stem that I've taken out and set aside. It was a flat piece of metal twisted around like a drill bit but gentler.

Status
Not open for further replies.