PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
How many of you grow your own tobacco? I am a gardener of veggies of all sorts. I love buying seeds for unusual edibles. I was thinking of ordering some tobacco seeds for the fun of it. Any tips or links to info you trust?

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
living here in NC i have all intentions of trying to grow a small crop next spring i didnt find that site untill it was too late for this spring

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
Check it out but ive heard that those who pretend to run your country give free tobacco seed. Well i've seen other say they get it off the government so worth a look

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Nope, can't do that living in a stinkin subdivision with a HOA to keep us tightly in control. :evil:
But if I was to take the time and trouble to grow something, it would be something that would give me a real experience. 8O :nana:

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Hmm, it is a little funny that they will give away tobacco seeds when they don't want you to smoke. Anyway I think I may have to try growing my tobacco own out. One crop would be enough to last a long time. Though I doubt it will work in Colorado because it is too damn dry. We'll see what happens next year.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have tried to grow some this year, it is a very tempermental plant and requires constant care. You cant just plant the seeds and water them like normal plants and the seeds are like mustard seeds, iddy biddy. Although my plants failed this year I am going to try again next year. You have to start them inside and let them get to a pretty hearty size before moving them outside. And they need a lot of moisture, if you have a greenhouse I would say the success rate would increase.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
awesome thoughts. what i am more curious about is what do you do to treat it after it is grown?

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
pluck the leaf or grab the whole plant and hang it somewhere warm and dry not too warm though have a bit of airflow around them, and let it be. 4 about oh i dont know ages......

others hang untill the leaf has lost its green then put it into a kiln to help age and ferment it. but there is oodles and ooddles of info online about it

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
in south africa some do grow their own only thing is it is green tobaccoo

for the flight of imagination

david(SCOTLAND)

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
its funny but over here you will get in more trouble selling the tobacco than you do for selling the green kind. its freakin madness. though i thinkits cos you are robbing the government of their hard earned excise and taxes, and we cant rob them

Though its ok the other way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.