Grinder, Shredder, Whatever You Call It...Works Great.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A lot of the tobaccos I like come in flake form. I sometimes feel like a cube cut or fold & stuff, but sometimes prefer them rubbed out for easier smoking. I have seen a couple of threads about different spice grinders, coffee grinders, etc., which, if nothing more, prove that we can convert any subject into a shitstorm of controversy. :wink:
I recently purchased a version of this gadget, and simply wish to report my results. The one I bought is the round rosewood box with spikes driven into both halves. You put whatever you wish to grind into it, press the two halves together, and twist. So far I have used it with LBF, LNF, OGS, and Dark Strong Kentucky.
It works incredibly well to produce a very uniform "ribbon cut". 3 twists clockwise, 3 twists counterclockwise makes the perfect consistency for my preference. I especially enjoyed the result with Bullseye Flake; it disperses the middle plug of cavendish throughout the blend, which I was never able to do with hand-rubbing.
All in all, ten dollars very well spent.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nope, they do double duty, I guess. The fact that it had a giant 7-leaf laser carved onto the lid kinda gave away its intended purpose, though. And these guys wonder why they get busted... :rofl:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Honest officer it's Luxury Twist Flake in there! What do you mean that sounds like a new weed type?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I have one of those, I've never used it for tobacco but could see it's potential especially for people with arthritis etc.. Sometimes my fingers will be sore after rubbing out flakes. I'm sure one day I may use it for tobacco flakes. I don't understand the controversy over them, mine doesn't even have any kind of leaf on it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Andy- I've never had any problems with sore fingers, but I can never get a consistent enough rub doing it by hand.
@sjpipesmoker- Actually, I don't smoke weed any day, since my chosen profession of aircraft mechanic strictly prohibits it. Unless you're talking about tobacco as the weed in question. Then, yes. And I'm not at all sure what "toking on trees" is.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Trees is just modern slang for cannabis. The smokable dried flower buds look like little trees...

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Even though they were made for the green stuff, they do work well for dense flakes. Had a buddy who had bad arthritis in his hands and he loved his grinder, especially for his Sam Gawith flakes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hmmm, I'll give this one a try. Everytime I begin to think I've read everything original you guys have to say, I learn something new. That wasn't the first time I typed that sentence.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
@aldecaker... Yeah my profession, working in the prison healthcare system prohibits me from smoking weed also.

It's fine, I don't like the stuff anyway.
Aircraft mechanic... Definitely can't be toking while fixing airplanes.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Never felt the need for.onr of those things, I just rub my SG flakes longer to get a good consistency.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Thats a wonderful idea. I've got a couple of those grinders lying around I'll wash'em and give it a rub :lol: ..
I do use the food processor every now and then and the results are great so you might want to try it that way especially if you want to process an entire tin at once.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I use an electric coffee grinder. It makes Virginia Flake smoke so smooth you won't know why you didn't grind it before. Keep your grind course though you don't want to smoke dust. Good on you OP.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In a past post or thread (I disremember which) pipestud advocated the use of a small electric food-processor for conditioning pipe-tobacco. I took his advice and purchased a little Black & Decker unit, brand new and in the box, for under $15.00 from a seller on eBay. All that I can say is that the man knew of which he wrote, and it works well for me!

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Hunter can you provide the model of the Black and Decker unit you purchsed? I've been thinking about getting one or a blade type coffee grinder. Lot's of choices be helpful to hear what other folks are using.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.