PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackrobe

Lurker
Jun 11, 2018
New guy here. Been a pipe smoker off and on for quite a few years, consistently for the last five or so. Started in college (1970) with drugstore pipes and Borkum Riff. In time I discovered other varieties including Balkan Sobranie which was my staple until it disappeared. I'm still a Balkan/English enthusiast currently working my way through a half-pound of C&D Byzantium. I acquired most of my pipes as targets of opportunity over the years without knowing much about names and reputations. My username comes from my historical reenactment persona, a 17th century Jesuit missionary. I am also a teacher of high school Theology. Looking forward to improving my tobacco and pipe education.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy & welcome from upstate SC, o robed badgery one! Glad to have you here. You'll find a lot of fans of Englishes here (including a few who prefer straight latakia; we don't usually allow them out in polite society without a keeper). Most of the folks here are well-medicated enough that they let us out on weekends.
OK, seriously, welcome, & dive right in. Asking folks here for help or advice is like asking people if they have pictures of their grandkids. It's our favorite subject! A lot of the [ahem] "guidance" will conflict, since a lot of the hobby is highly subjective & we all have our own preferences that work for us. Ages range from 18-20ish to codgers like us.
Uh, one other word of warning -- there be pirates here, so keep a weather eye out. }:)
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love Wisconsin. My family growing up spent many vacation weeks at College Camp (now a conference center) on Lake Geneva in Southern Wisconsin, and a camping trip with my late wife in the 1980's included a fish boil and camping in Door County. It's one of the greatest less discovered tourist destinations in the U.S. Welcome! ...Oh, and I spent the last eight months in the Navy living in a welfare hotel in downtown Milwaukee (to save money for grad school) working at the recruiting station; I didn't have a car, so I could walk to work. Incredible cold winter but the radiator in my room kept clanging. My "entertainment" was a portable Motorola radio. I took the graduate record exam at the university up the street from my hotel and showered at the "Y." Boy, that was some spare living.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Ya, hey der. I’m a part-time cheesehead trapped in FISHland. Wisconsin is the best! Folks are down to Earth and super friendly, even to Bears fans. Uhle’s is a treasure. Too bad that Book World has closed up and eliminating most of Uhle’s in-state outlets. Byzantium is good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.