Greetings from New Zealand / New pipe smoker seeking experienced advice.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
3 Fresh Doctor's Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael01

Lurker
Jan 1, 2013
Good Afternoon,
I've been doing a lot of reading about pipe smoking and most of you experienced chaps recommend not buying cheap pipes when you start out.
Well I am new, brand new. I have a Falcon pipe here and some pretty average tobacco. Problem is New Zealand has pretty much no pipe tobacco outside of Borkum Riff and pretty much no selection aside from Falcon pipes. Our anti tobacco lobby is very strong and has been operating for quite some time. My local options are very limited.
My pipe is tasting not the best, since I've been smoking it 2-3 times a day since I purchased it. I want to continue with this hobby but I realise I need a couple more pipes.
I don't have a lot of money but would really like your recommendations on getting a couple of decent pipes to add to my rotation. What would you do in my position if you were starting pipe smoking today?
Is there any other guidance you can offer me?
Cheers.
Regards,

Michael

New Zealand.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome Michael ! While you're checking out those sites you might want to consider getting some cobs and also check their supplies of Dr. Grabow,Yellow bole and Medico pipes-- don't buy Brylon Yellow bole or Medicos. Cobs are very cheap and the others run from $25.00 to $35.00.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hia, Michael:
Welcome to the forum.
Do check out the Australian and New Zealand eBay pages. I'm a big fan of used - i.e. estate - pipes and they can provide a huge savings for those of you living in tobacco & ephemera unfriendly countries.
If you pick up an "estate" pipe there are any number of us here who would be happy walking you through the restoration process. (Until my kids gifted me a Nording last year I haven't had a new pipe in almost 35 years.)
Fnord

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
most of you experienced chaps recommend not buying cheap pipes when you start out
Greetings from California.
I'm a relatively new kid on the block amongst a larger group of experienced chaps ... and I know a $40 briar pipe can last you a lifetime, properly cared for.
If your pipe is starting to turn sour, clean it ... and rubbing alcohol will do just fine in place of pipe sweetener or Everclear.
It really is all about the tobacco. Read this, and fill your pipe wisely.
I'd look here for new pipes, presuming you don't live off the interest of your investments.
Welcome to the forum :puffy:

michael01

Lurker
Jan 1, 2013
Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. I am already beginning to see which direction to head in.
I am slowly working through all the links that were posted.
I've been looking through the estate pipes on smoking pipes. There seems to be a few within my budget which I am considering.
Thank you,

Michael.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Awesome another kiwi lol, nice to see another one on here ... what part of the country are you in ? I am up in Auckland and I only really know 2 pipe smokers up here (tho I did see an older gentleman smoking a metal falcon he other day as he drove past ) and am pretty new to pipe smoking myself so I know how painful it can be to find pipes or tobacco here and while I don't have much your welcome to try any tobaccoes I have and I might even be able to help out with a pipe (cleaning up old estate pipes when I can find em) but yeah we just don't have he same access to things he guys overseas have so if I can help pls don't hesitate to ask
cheers

michael01

Lurker
Jan 1, 2013
I in Auckland too. My Falcon isn't one of the metal attachment ones. Its an old school solid briar pipe.
I don't suppose you have a little sample of flake I can try? This Borkum Riff Cherry is quite nasty :(

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
nice good to have more pipe smokers round and yeah just pm me your address and I will send you some ... can send you a few different things to try see what u like , in my experiance borkum riff and pretty much anything cherry is just foul. have a look at boswells and the sites mentioned above if your looking for anything decent .. pipes and tobacco , and they guys on here are pretty helpful as well and know where to get most things so just do what I do and ask lol

jamessmithnz

Lurker
Jan 6, 2013
G'day,

Glad I came across this thread. I am also a new pipe smoker. Havnt smoked one yet infact, and seeing the price of second hand pipes locally I quickly knocked this one up. It might be absolutly terrible, but I can say I made one once.
P1050335_zpsd37c99ea.jpg
P1050334_zps78628e3a.jpg

Trouble is we have one tobaconist here in Hawkes Bay and he claims nobody can get pipe tobacco, some branding issue or some such.

My question to lazybugger and michael is, are the tobacconist you two shop at in auckland online? A google search finds nothing.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
howdy glad to find yet another kiwi ...nice pipe btw I reckon you did an awesome job and think its awesome your first one was a little different , I hope u keep making more ... in anwser to your question yes there are a couple shops that u can order tobacco from online ( the cigar lounge, gentlemans corner and havana house) ... I don't recommend it tho , while they are nice people do u really want to pay $80 a tin for something u might not like ? my advice is order from overseas ... the places listed on here are all good ... and if u like pm me your address snd I will send u a whole pile of stuff to ssmple and smoke till your stuff arrives ... haha your lucky I just had my boswells order come in so there is lots of that for u to try , but can send u some English blends to try as well from various places ... btw when ordering try to keep each order under 10oz ... thats the golden number for slipping past customs, they don't seem to care if its less than 10oz

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
pretty much ... they can charge for any amount of tobacco or alchohol coming in but don't if its under the dutyfree limit ... let me knkw when your package arrives and how u get on

Status
Not open for further replies.