PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Tobacco is a plant that we have a storied history of cultivating, curing, smoking and enjoying. Far before the proliferation of tobacco was the dedication to consuming fruits and vegetable. In 2010 the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) spent $500,000 towards research to lay out dietary guidelines for our nation. According to the USDA 2010 Guidelines we should be filling half our plates with fruits or vegetables.
This report goes on to say that "Moderate evidence in adults and limited evidence in children and adolescents suggests that increased intake of vegetables and/or fruits may protect against weight gain." In the United States, intakes of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, and oils are lower than recommended. As a result, dietary intakes of several nutrients—potassium, dietary fiber, calcium, and vitamin D—are low enough to be of public health concern for both adults and children. It is vital that we eat a variety of vegetables, especially dark-green and red and orange vegetables and beans and peas. An important thing to remember is that all vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products, seafood, lean meats and poultry-, eggs, beans and peas (legumes), and nuts and seeds that are prepared without added solid fats, sugars, starches, and sodium are nutrient-dense.
SO the real questions as we move forward on this topic that truly impacts us all are what are your favorite vegetables and do you eat them unprepared or cooked?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not met one that I didn't like, and tend to prefer them uncooked. I do really enjoy tomatoes and rhubarb if I have to pick favorites. Peppers of any variety are welcome as well.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like celery, cauliflower and radishes to eat raw, and just about any kind of leafy greens for salads, especially arugula. For cooked veggies, I like broccoli, peas and green beans. Actually I like all kinds of veggies, but I don't always eat enough of them. :roll:

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
YfKStei.jpg

We have a small farm where we grow all of our own fruits and vegetables as well as have a space we lease at the local Farmers Market. My favorites are tomatoes and sweet potatoes, and for fruits apricots and peaches top that list. We also process our own pear and apple sauces, and make our own fruit juices and jellies. We have a canning set up that borders between home canning and industrial. We also raise our own chickens, goats, and rabbits for meat, as well as hunting in season for venison, ducks, and turkey's. I'm no sports hunter by any means. I just have what tools it takes to get the job done.
Everything we eat besides a little beef and pork, cow milk, flour, and a few other grains, we grow, and fertilize it all naturally from our own bi-products of living; junk mail, waste foliage, and animal a bi-products are composted for the garden. My own personal joke is that we run this whole thing on junk mail, ha ha.
I've been slowly learning what I can about growing tobacco with a semi-successful year last year, but hopefully this year I will also be producing enough of that to keep me supplied for the rest of my life.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Do root vegetables count? If so it would be parsnip. I section and boil them till tender to a fork poking. I then place them in the blender with a dab of butter, a splash or two of heavy cream, a couple cloves of raw garlic, a dash of sweet basil and smoked paprika, 2 chestnuts and blend to a puree. Plate with a steak on top, medium rare of course.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
As Dr. Joel Furhman say, I eat "G-BOMBS" nearly everyday. Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, Seeds. Unlike Dr. Fuhrman, I also add a little olive oil, lean meat/fish, and nuts. Basically the Mediterranean Diet. Lots of Stir-Fry.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Rutabagas ... boiled and mashed with bacon drippings, salt and pepper.
Best served with pork chops and sauerkraut! :P

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Fiddle heads (steamed) with a pat of butter and a splash of cider vinegar, spuds and native brook trout.

My dad used to take me out hunting fiddle heads and fishing for brookies.

Baked acorn squash with butter, brown sugar and pecans.

Sliced tomatoes with mayo on white with salt and pepper.

Roasted in the husk on a wood fire corn. Soak it first.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
The title makes me think of smoking celery, lettuce, broccoli, etc in my pipes. :puffy:

Or the opposite idea:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13181-010-0102-x

Actually, the title made me think of last years garden. I had an old lady down the road who was stealing my kale and spinach greens, so I planted the tobacco in with them, so that when she was raiding the kale, she'd be grabbing a few leaves of tobacco to boil up with her greens. Ha ha. Of course they soon were taller than the greens, but Last year she only stole my greens once... Ha ha!!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
+1 daimyo-- Parsnips are one of my top favorites. I like to roast a mix of root vegetables; Parsnips, turnips, carrots, onions, garlic cloves etc. Drizzle them with olive oil, coat with sea salt and fresh ground pepper, roast on a cookie sheet at 425 deg till tender............. A grilled ribeye or NY strip medium rare, glass of Cab or Merlot ---- Now THAT"S a meal!
I really like all the veg's-- I was a weird kid I guess, I used to ASK my Mother to make spinach, or Brussels sprouts! 8O

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
newbroom, you're speaking my language. Love fiddleheads.
I have a new-found love of raw cabbage and baked cauliflower. Brussel sprouts, which were my bane as a kid, are also a favorite. Turns out my parents just weren't good at cooking them. I need my meat though I have been trying to lean more towards fish than beef and pork of late, but bacon is, after all, paleo, and paleo is healthy, right? Right.
Root vegetables are also very very tasty and as far as I can tell underutilized, at least in urban NE.
I had a community garden for awhile but didn't have the time to fight the ungodly weeds my plot would get thanks to a prior plot holder. The person who has had it for the last two years hasn't made much more headway than I did and I did all but nuke them from orbit. I do miss growing my devil tongue and bhut jolokia chiles, however.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Pretty much everyday for a snack at work I take a container of celery, cucumber, tomato and cheese and eat it plain

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My latest go to food item is whole shell on Jumbo Walnuts. I am not sure if nuts are fruits or vegetables, but their meat is loaded with protein and fat. I eat about 5 a day. One at a time spaced throughout the day. It helps keep me out of the Reese's cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.