PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Green tea is suppose to have some incredible health benefits. If only quarter are true it's worth drinking your share. I make it by the pot and drink at least one pot a day. Some times two.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
If only a quarter are true it's worth drinking your share.
That's my thought as well. I'm more a peppermint kind of fella, but I always have a mug or two when we have it on hand.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
and there is also so evidence in coffee reducing oral cancer. Here I am covered on this front. The one that really bugs me is the increased risk of alcohol consumed at the time of smoking increases oral cancer. Oh well, I guess I'll die in the end anyway.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Everything seems to give you cancer these days! I suspect that since we are living so much longer than we did in the past you are bound to die from things that were not very common say 100 years ago. Everyone has the obligatory Uncle who drank a bottle of scotch/gin/vodka a day and puffed through 80 Woodbine cigarettes and lived to be 102 years old. Sadly the obligatory Uncle is more the exception than the rule. Too much of anything is very bad for you.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Green Tea does have some impressive research behind it. Keep in mind though that the initial studies showing it's anti-cancer effects were observed in people drinking AT LEAST 10 cups per day. The active ingredient is EGCG. Typically (based on the 10 cup intake) you need to consume about 200 mg of EGCG per day. So either make sure you are drinking 10 cups per day or purchase some Green Tea pills. If you buy the pills, read the label to ensure you are getting a least 200 mg EGCG per pill. Most companies do not come anywhere near this. Personally I like Life Extension Green Tea Extract pills.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I usually have green tea at night with my pipe, 2 cups

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
If you buy the pills, read the label to ensure you are getting a least 200 mg EGCG per pill. Most companies do not come anywhere near this. Personally I like Life Extension Green Tea Extract pills.
Just make sure that the pills hold what they supposed to.
Read this today:
A warning to herbal supplement users: Those store-brand ginkgo biloba tablets you bought may contain mustard, wheat, radish and other substances decidedly non-herbal in nature, but they’re not likely to contain any actual ginkgo biloba.
That’s according to an investigation by the New York State attorney general’s office into store-brand supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Wal-Mart. All four have received cease-and-desist letters demanding that they stop selling a number of their dietary supplements, few of which were found to contain the herbs shown on their labels and many of which included potential allergens not identified in the ingredients list.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/02/03/gnc-target-wal-mart-walgreens-accused-of-selling-fake-herbals/

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
The reason I like Life Extension Foundation's products is they have their products analyzed by an independent lab every few years. They have published articles showing the lab analysis of other "vitamin companies", the the data always shows a lack of actual claimed nutrients. I have called them in the past and received some of their lab results. The latest TV blurb about vitamin/herb pills not containing what is claimed on the label is 30 year old news!.. Come on, the news media reports this like it's something that they just discovered?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"The reason I like Life Extension Foundation's products is they have their products analyzed by an independent lab every few years."
The lab is not independent if the company who's products are being tested pays for the testing and controls the release of the test data.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Amen to junkyard's 2 comments above. But isn't life a lot like pipe smoking? After all, isn't the journey of lighting up and puffing the whole point, not the end where you empty the bowl and clean the pipe?
hp

les

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
This is an alarming fact: 100% of all Americans who consumed broccoli in 1899 are now dead. What was wrong with the broccoli back then? Was it a problem in the fields, handling and cooking?
I'm led to believe, reading and anecdotal evidence only, that all tobacco users; pipes, cigars, cigarettes, and it is implied dippers and chewers, before 1902 are now deceased. That statistic seems to hold up as you research further back in time. Scary numbers indeed!

enjoyingtea

Lurker
Sep 3, 2015
USA
Green tea is a healthy drink and rich in Flavonoid antioxidants. It helps in Weight loss, Type 2 diabetes prevention, prostate cancer prevention, breast cancer prevention, lung cancer prevention, or gingivitis.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Green tea is awesome. It probably has some health benefits.
I would caution my friends here, however, that finding causative factors for health from a food is very very difficult. Typically, these types of studies are correlative. there has been some success isolating a particular nutrient and its effect like vitamin c and scurvy, but green tea is very very complicated. Varieties, number of chemicals contained, growing conditions, how you make it, how you consume it, your own genetics and behaviors etc.
There is a (slowly) growing trend to not label foods as "good" or "bad" but to think of food In context of many things. Sugar is neither "good" nor "bad" as it can contribute to problems as well as save lives. Context is everything.
But yes green tea is awesome!

elguapo

Lurker
Aug 31, 2015
White tea is supposed to be great (possibly better than green tea) at reducing the risk of all types of cancers as well. I prefer the white tea just because it can be stored longer than the green tea (according to people I don't know on the internet).

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
White tea is supposed to be great (possibly better than green tea) at reducing the risk of all types of cancers as well.
By far, the vast majority of research showing health benefits have been with Green Tea. There is almost no research published in medical journals on White Tea, unless you are a rat. Go with the research. Use Green Tea, not White.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Green tea may be awesome, but a pipe smokers forum may not be the target demographic for "a bunch of guys who worry about oral cancers a lot". Just sayin'...

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Green tea may be awesome, but a pipe smokers forum may not be the target demographic for "a bunch of guys who worry about oral cancers a lot". Just sayin'...
Ha! No argument. But just like a blanket statement that pipe smoking is bad for your mouth, we also know that it is good for relaxation. And so on....my point is context is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.