PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

csquared

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
I stopped smoking my pipes a few months ago. I had two dental surgeries and well smoking a pipe and tooth extraction just doesn't work. The weather is getting better so I decided to fire up some RPL-6 this afternoon. I'm still a novice, had some relights but it was pleasureable. Just me, the blue sky, nice breeze and pipe smoke. A great time to collect the thoughts and realize that I have missed this hobby. It seems like my pipe goes out 3-4 times (could it be my packing?) I pack it in 3 layers. When I lightly tamp the ash it always goes out.....

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
+1 to Orley's comment. It takes time and sometimes they just don't want to stay lit, but with time you usually win...usually. Welcome to the forums!!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Like the fellow who wrote that book, I'm always looking for the perfect smoke. Packing the pipe the way that suits you best, using the tamper, clearing the airways, usually works. Yet sometimes a pipe just won't stay lit! That's when I take the whole darned thing apart and throughly clean it before trying again.

Welcome to the forums!

That avatar is cracking me up, csquared. That is great!! And, yes, +1 Orley. Even after years, I get that one bowl that just frustrates me to no end. And, I find that my worst smokes come when people want to discuss something with me. I am a long winded guy - no really, I can be, ha ha, and when I have to put my pipe down to give a lengthy response, I feel like a yoyo with my lighter.

Maybe try just tamping the ash down lightly. Sometimes I get in one of those moods and over tamp, but for the most part I try to tamp just when the flavor starts to become muted. And, sometimes I will go a whole bowl without tamping at all. Just depends on which way the wind blows I guess.

Ha ha, keep it smokey :puffy:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
If I was one of those "match purist" pipers I'da given this thing up before I got to where I am now. Nothing wrong with relights, I think it's part of the process. Keep the lighter handy and smoke on.
I was at a pipe club recently, and there was a guy there that doesn't smoke a pipe regularly, and he was using a borrowed churchwarden. It frustrated me to no end watching him constantly light and relight that cumbersome thing with matches. I think the worst part about it was that he HAD to use matches to light, and we're all sitting around a table with about 6 or 7 lighters just sitting there for anyone to use.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I too have not smoked in a while. Almost two months truth be told. My 9 year old brought a nasty caugh home and it lingered. My mom visited for two weeks as well as the usual stresses of modern life and raising two boys. Tuesday I have a break where my wife takes the boys for a few hours. I came home and went straight to a cob and some Lanes hazlenut. I sat in the back yard and realized how much I was missing over the last two months. I just relaxed and watched the birds, tended to some gardening and decompressed quite a bit with that bowl. When my two monkies came crashing threw the front door and my frazzled wife on their tails, I was in a better mood to deal with it all.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo csq - when I tamp (very lightly), I simultaneously puff just a mite, and that usually keeps the fire alive. The other thing I do to help stay lit is to dry out the tobacco, even to the point of crispness (wear safety glasses).
hp

les

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
When I smoke, tamping is almost a reflex to what type of flavor I'm getting. Almost instinct in a way. But I have a fabulous concave tamper that helps a lot. :wink:

Matches are when I run out of butane. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.