PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsalt

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Florida Keys
Found this great article at Outwest Tobacco while snooping around online. As a newbie I found it very informative and quite helpful. I hope it will do the same for those in the same boat.
http://www.outwesttobacco.com/Cool_Smoke.htm

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I keep reading about how varnished pipes smoke hot and how the varnish keeps all the heat in.
So I sprayed my house with a thin coat of varnish last fall, and now even though it's zero degrees Fahrenheit, my furnace still hasn't kicked in. :crazy:

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
A nice article and another site to visit while waiting for a passion for pipes, cake and dottle and reborn briars to write new blogs.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That's a decent primer for new pipe smoker's. One method of packing that I've been using for many years is the twist method. I find that it gives a good pack and leaves enough of an air pocket in the bowl so that you have a great unobstructed smoke.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=james+fox+tobacco+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=507238384667A3D04C64507238384667A3D04C64

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
olsalt, thanks for posting. The facts about PH were interesting. I have never heard them before.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Tobaccos: Dry tobaccos will smoke hotter than properly humidified ones. Humidors for tobacco should be 65-70% Relative humidity.
So dry tobaccos will smoke hotter than properly humidified ones? Really? Well, this is simply not true. If you want to avoid 1 tongue bite and 2 smoking hot just let your tobacco dry properly.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"So dry tobaccos will smoke hotter than properly humidified ones? Really? Well, this is simply not true."
This CAN be true if the tobacco is TOO dry. I had a bowl of straight white burley from a just acquired 1 lb bag that was so dry it would crumble to dust and it hurt my throat pretty bad because it was so harsh. After rehydrating it smoked much better. Just sayin'. 8)

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
This CAN be true if the tobacco is TOO dry. I had a bowl of straight white burley from a just acquired 1 lb bag that was so dry it would crumble to dust and it hurt my throat pretty bad because it was so harsh. After rehydrating it smoked much better. Just sayin'.
It is not supposed to crumble. The idea is you pinch it, and if it does not clump together, then it is ready to smoke. I am not saying too dry, but just dry enough. I always leave my tins open to dry for a couple of days before I even smoke any tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.