Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I knew this was coming, but had to keep quiet until now. If you've been reading PipesMagazine.com, you likely know of the threat from roll-your-own tobacco being labeled as pipe tobacco to avoid the higher taxes. Pipe tobacco has been threatened for 2.5 years now with increasing the tax by over 700%.
We just got saved by the Federal Highway Bill.
http://www.suntimes.com/business/13589276-420/roll-your-own-cigarette-stores-going-up-in-smoke.html

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
This is good news, but we can't let up. We ducked a big blow here, but the fight and education needs to go on so we don't wind up one day wondering what happened.
:puffpipe:

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
So after reading the article...my understanding is that cigarettes produced by the RYO machines will be taxed more but not the tobacco bought to pour into the machines. Am I right?

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
That article sounds like the same exact issue I presented in my letter to Lawrence R. Deyton, Director of the Center for Tobacco Products FDA.

In the letter I addressed my concern towards RYO tobacco labeled as pipe tobacco hurting the actual pipe tobacco industry. I am glad to hear that we pipe smokers may not end up getting caught in the crossfire of RYO tobacco and the FDA. As much as I like my cigarettes, I would much rather have more affordable pipe tobacco than cigarette tobacco. The more expensive cigarette tobacco gets, the more likely I will quit hahaha.

Thanks for the article Kevin!

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Good news!
Although I won't even try to guess what a highways bill would have to do with RYO tobacco. Interesting country you have there. :)
Simon

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Nice to hear some good news once in a while.
I know there have always been those who RTO, and there used to be some low end pipe tobacco specifically marketed to that crowd, but I just can't understand it. I've never smoked cigarettes and don't inhale my pipes or cigars, but I just can't imagine inhaling pipe tobacco smoke; it's so much stronger (and that's a good thing). The stuff they put into cigs can hardly be called tobacco IMHO. Of course, if they put a goodly amount of Latakia and Perique into the cigs, I'm guessing we would see a sharp decline in new cig smokers. :twisted: As long as they leave enough for our English blends that is....
Thanks,Kevin.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can see that this might get the Feds off our backs for a while and that's a good thing. Not sure it stops the states from continuing to lose their minds.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
What is significant is that this Bill adresses RYO specifically and leaves us alone, for now. The FTCA Act that is law, still stands. This may be a meaningful distinction for the future, or it may bring them just one-step closer to implementing the attack on pipe tobacco as the Act prescribes. The Act, as passed, will remain a serious concern as to how and when the Act will be implemented on pipe tobacco. I am pleased to see this distinction, for now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Some excellent news indeed, with impacts reaching much further than the U.S. borders. But Gecko is right, this is just one battle in the war, and it's a slippery slope indeed - with a definite flipside.
Of course, if they put a goodly amount of Latakia and Perique into the cigs, I'm guessing we would see a sharp decline in new cig smokers.

Off the top of my head:

Latakia Cigarettes: Old Gold; Drum Black; several "boutique" RYO blends

Perique: American Spirit Perique

Izmir: Camel Exotic
I'm sure there are a few others, but they certainly have (and do) use the condimental tobaccos in cigarettes. In fact, it's pretty well documented that if American Spirit hadn't started producing a cigarette blend featuring Perique, we wouldn't have the fermented leaf today.

I think this can be taken a step further, however. True pipe-smokers make up a miniscule fraction of the tobacco market. If cigarette companies didn't buy thousands of tons of leaf a year, do you think that we would continue to see the plethora of raw leaf available for small (in comparison to say, Phillip Morris) blending houses like McClelland or Cornell and Diehl? And what leaf was on the market would have a higher value, as tobacco farming would become even less widespread than currently, driving up the prices on blends while ensuring lesser variety available to the consumer.

Rather than villify the cigarette, we do need to recognize that our relationship with the manufacturer must be symbiotic in order to continue as things are.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I'm sure it doesn't stop the states at all except, hopefully, the states would be a little more reluctant to hike a tax without the cover of the Feds. Usually a Fed hike is immediately followed, immediately preceded or both, by a state hike . Or at least from what I've noticed.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Great news.
And as always, I find myself agreeing with everything Schmitzbitz says. :clap:

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Not good at all! All you say its good we doged a bullet take a look on your chest the target just got bigger.

The goverment always has a war on something they have to fight for the health or safty of the people. Its just a matter of time before they get to pipe tobacco and it will be worse then the ryo taxes because they have raised the taxes on them serveral times in the past serveral years pipe tobacco will be bought to par with ryo tobaccos and wont be 2 or 3 hikes in a 5 yr time span it will be all at once and then the cycle will start over again.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I'm with Jaysin, there is nothing to celebrate here.

You guys are France cheering the Nazi takeover of Poland.

"They won't come get us, they're too busy destroying Poland".

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I'm afraid I have to agree with jaysin, legislation and taxes are just setting a precedence for the future. Get ready to get whacked, and I don't believe I'm being pessimistic. Buy what you can afford now, it will never be cheaper than it is today.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I think everyone is excited because pipe tobacco isn't lumped together with RYO. Little steps. Maybe Jaysin is right but a little hope is what everyone has now.

Status
Not open for further replies.