PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Another S.F. Landmark Under Fire
San Francisco’s Historic Grant’s Pipe Shop has been served with a 30-Day

Notice to Terminate Tenancy after 49 years at its current location and 163 years

in business.
San Francisco, CA, September 2012 – Grant’s Pipe Shop is San Francisco’s

oldest operating traditional tobacco shop, and its historic walk-in humidor was the

first in the State of California. Premium Tobacco enthusiasts from around the

world have been stopping by Grant’s Pipe Shop’s current Market Street location

since 1963, but the shop’s history begins with the Gold Rush of 1849. Originally

supplying miners and merchant seamen with premium tobaccos and fine pipes.

One of Grant’s most famous customers in the 1800s was local eccentric,

“Emperor Norton.” Grant’s Pipe Shop is one of San Francisco’s oldest small

businesses.
Store managers of the previous shop owner, Edward L. Grant, had an

opportunity to continue this San Francisco legacy when they successfully took

ownership in 2004 after Mr. Grant’s passing in 2003. In 2006, the lease expired,

and the shop has been on a month-to-month lease ever since, despite numerous

attempts to negotiate for a longer-term lease.
The Chancery Building, in which Grant’s Pipe Shop is located, changed

ownership in 2009, but the building’s management, Kevin Colombo of Terra

Verde Commercial and new landlords Chelsea Pacific Holdings, LP, and

manager Zack Faidi of Chelsea Pacific Group, LLC, have rejected reasonable

negotiations.
Recently, the owners of the Chancery Building applied for a permit through the

San Francisco Building Department to construct build outs that will affect Grant’s

current space, including its historic walk-in humidor. When one of the General

Partners of Grant’s, Joe A. Barron, inquired about details, such as the length and

timing of multiple planned construction phases and other normal concerns of

tenants when negotiating these matters, the owners of the Chancery Building in

return served Grant’s with a 30-Day Notice to Terminate Tenancy, bringing about

what could be the end of this San Francisco institution.
Grant’s Pipe Shop is the latest in a series of San Francisco landmarks to come

under fire by local landlords eager to raise rents. Prior to serving the conviction

notice, the Chancery Building initially suggested doubling the rent in 2009, which

would have effectively put Grant’s out of business. Additionally, the Chancery

Building’s management has seemed more interested in probing Grant’s current

owners into selling the business or misleading Grant’s proprietors over the last

three years, leading to speculation that the building’s management or landlords

have never intended to offer the current owners of Grant’s Pipe Shop a long-term

lease to stabilize this historic shop.
Grant’s owners remain dedicated to maintaining the legacy and tradition of

quality expected of San Francisco’s oldest and most well known tobacconist.

Quality inventory of tobacco products will be on clearance starting

September 18, 2012.

~~~
Needless to say I’m a bit pissed and upset. As are the guys at Grants

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
What?!?! I was just in there on Monday and picked up a tin of the new Frog Morton blend. It seemed like business as usual, no mention of any issues at all.

Jul 20, 2010
Dude I just found out yesterday morning and the manager only found out then too. It all came as a shock. There will be a party however and I'm hoping plans for continuation. Luckily my last day working there is Friday and it's a side gig for me, but my heart aches for the others. I've been proud to call Grants my home shop.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just checked their site and see that they hope to increase their online presence. That can make all the difference. You may wish to suggest that they immediately start an ebay account for their blow out sale and announce it on their site.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Well, hopefully, they get a new location figured out. Grant's was perfectly located near the BART and downtown. It will be sad not to be able to drop in when I'm in the city.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
Agreed and shocked here as well about the news. Sad day yesterday to hear that my regular B&M is closing up shop at the end of the month. Going to visit as much as I can before it is gone...and hope Joe and Ted reopen at a new location.

Jul 20, 2010
Joe and Ted have done an excellent job so yes, please do come in. It's a shame when we loose an important part of the community like this. But yes, increasing online presence and outside of that...well Jason said the other day that when one door closes, another opens.
Who knows, honestly.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings all,
I visited Grant's several years ago during a trip to SF. Interesting shop with a long history. At the time of my visit, the SF city government had just passed anti-smoking legislation closing down several cigar bars in the area. The staff were justifiably concerned that the same fate would befall them in time.
Learning this, I was absolutely astounded that a tobacco shop could still be in business in that city in this day and age, given it's vitriolic anti-smoking policies.
Grant's closing is sad news indeed, but pretty much a sign of the times I'm afraid. Especially in an intolerant city such as San Francisco. During our stay in the city, I always felt very uncomfortable smoking anywhere, feeling like I was being watched by unapproving eyes.
I know their closure is due to their lease, but landlords can decide which businesses to allow in their buildings and which they won't. Believe me, I feel their pain. I leased a space for 10 years, and during negotitions, it was clear that the landlord really didn't want my business in his space any longer. Our lack of striking a deal resulted in me closing my shop after a decade in business.
Most, if not all, successful retail tobacconists today own their building. McCranie's, Iwan Reis, Edward's in Englewood, CO, Stag Tobacconist in Co Springs, etc. It's the only way to control overhead and profitability. Leasing a space, without ownership, allows someone else to ultimately control the future of your business. Such is what happened to Grant's.
I wish them well.
CACooper

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I just signed up for their newsletter and offered to become a mail order customer and I don't give a rip about pricing right now. It riles me to see somebody squeezed in this fashion.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I usually visit my favorite city about once a month and every other visit I always make a stop a Grants. It's a place that I enjoyed a lot, even thought I was only in there for 10 minutes buying tobacco, it felt like I had long time friends. I will miss going to Grants and hopefully they find another place to grow.
If any B&M needs support, Grants does... know there not a sponsor and I might get knocked for saying this, But if anyone wants some great quality hand blended tobacco, call them up and place a order.
:crying:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Grant's is a must-do stop for me several times a year when I'm in the Bay Area. Several of their venerable hand-blended tobaccos reside in my Top100 Cellar. Sitting inside their picture window area, puffing, chatting and people-watching was always a treat. I hope they find an alternate location.
hp

les

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Damn!! I was there in June for a conference and stopped in to Grant's every night for a couple of bowls!!!! I just added some of their baccy to the box pass also...
Hope they can find another location but that was a prime spot!!

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Okay. While I am somewhat saddened that a landmark institution is passing I think I will give a moment of silence to honor its passing.
Silence.
Okay that's enough of that.
Now let me you tell you of my experience of "Grant's."
Back in 1988 I had just moved to the foggy city of SF with my girlfriend. It was cold, unfriendly and damn doesn't the sun ever come out?
I was a newbie pipe smoker and I loved pipes and tobacco. I wanted more tobacco and more PIPES!!!
One colllldddd fogggy day I stumbled into "Grant's" and was ecstatic to see pipes and a few tins of tobacco. There was humidor for "Cigars"! and lots of chatchcas (read nicknacks). Seeing a man behind the counter who assumed to be a brother of the leaf and a friendly sales staff member I timidly pointed out a pipe that caught my fancy. He handed over a nice bent calabash in a rustic finish. I asked how much? He replied in a clipped, Germanic voice that it was priced at $300 dollars. I audibly gasped as I had just started collecting pipes and the most I had ever paid was $50 for a nice Savinelli.
Why so much? I queried.
It's a Becker!!! he replied rudely snatching the pipe out of my trembling paw and returning it with some reverence to the case.
Well. I had no idea who Becker was. Nor did I know who this Teutonic Clerk was...but I did know - that I wanted to put my boot up both their asses!!! For - A. For Mr. Becker - for creating a pipe at a price tag of over $300 bucks (this was 1988 for christsakes! and wasn't it just a pipe?)and B. For Mr. Grant of "Grant's" for employing one of the most unfriendly, rude sales staff employees I have ever encountered.
I left "Grant's" - never to return - facing the cold, foggy and lonely streets again. It was cold my friends and wet - and my little $50 Savinelli pipe seemed somehow diminished - But any place was better even if it was cold, wet and unknown - than having some rude clerk dress me down for a pipe. Becker indeed!
Thank God - I discovered Marty Pulvers and Sherlock's Haven a few weeks later as I am still smoking a pipe to this day.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Pulvers is long gone and now Grants . When I still lived on the west coast we always made time to stop in and grab a cigar or two to enjoy with the Forth of July festivities . I will lament thier passing .

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Almost twenty five years is a long time to carry a grudge but I do respect the animosity you still hold, Clanobucklin. Somebody told me once that a happy customer usually tells three friends while an unhappy customer shares with over ten. And I'll bet you haven't held this incident close to your vest for a quarter of a century, have you?
Obviously, the clerk was an asshole. (Lawrence, is it okay to call somebody an asshole? Provided they aren't posting members of the forum?) I cannot abide rudeness in a man and I've met several rude clerks in high end stores selling liquor, tobacco, clothing, automobiles, etc.
On the other hand, I'm a firm proponent of the free market economy. If a customer wants to pay large sums of hard earned simoleans for a luxury pipe then, by God, knock yourself out. (The market will bear what the market will bear.) However, Wolfgang Becker's pipes have that reputation. I've only seen pictures of his burners - they're beautiful, maybe even works of art but they're very very expensive and I can promise you that I'll never own one. But, good for those who can.
As to Grant's, well that could be another story. The new owners might not have been around in 1988 and maybe - just maybe - the clerk who insulted you wasn't the legend he thought he should become and died a lonely, broken down old man.
These days, when something goes south, I make a full court press on the manager and let him or her know why I feel wronged. If I don't say something, who will? Otherwise, I end up being that guy poisoning their well to ten people who'll hear me out. If the manager chooses to ignore me then the business deserves to fail. That's that.
Clanobucklin, I defended Grant's because their collective nuts are in a vise. If the landlord can make more money from a better heeled renter then Grant's needs to take a hike. But my own bias kicks in at that point. Being a pipe smoker, and a student of history, I want to see Grant's adapt, roll with punches, stick a middle finger in the air to a liberal blue state, do that Phoenix thingy and come back stronger than before.
I'm not the same person I was 25 years ago, thank God. I was brash, didn't give a rip and could've cared less what you thought. Marriage and kiddos have shown me some of the gray wedged in between the black and white and that has given me more peace than I probably deserve.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Photoman- with rents being super high in SF, they will have to find a really cheap place in a not so good area. The place where their at now is not much bigger than a big walk in closet, it's a small cozy place.

Status
Not open for further replies.